Getting Rid of Fleas on Kittens

Category Fleas
While topical flea treatments are readily available for older cats, young kittens will require alternative methods to rid them of these biting pests. This is a guide about getting rid of fleas on kittens.

Having a new litter of kittens in the house is wonderful, until you discover fleas. Unfortunately, there is not a lot you can do for fleas on newborn kittens. I discovered a great tip. Baby wipes with aloe! The kittens love being rubbed down with them. Don't worry about rubbing vigorously. They love it, just like momma giving them a bath. And, if I keep a close eye on them and do this daily, I won't see another flea.

By Kimber from WV

Editor's Note: Be sure to wait at least a week or two before handling newborn kittens and then only for a short amount of time. The mother can reject them if they don't smell right.

I have hardwood floors all over the house except the kitchen and bedroom which have tile floors. I read where you mix apple cider vinegar, Dawn, and water, and bathe both kitties.

How much would I use of each or equal amounts?

Answers

Best Answer

Please take your kitties to your vet first to be certain the problem is fleas and not another skin condition like dandruff, allergies, etc!!! Help your kitties feel better now by treating the correct problem, not by treating for the wrong condition just because it may be cheaper! Note also that a bath does not kill/remove all fleas as many crawl up to the head to avoid the wash and then return south, usually to the back as the kitten is unable to reach that area.

Best Answer

Additional flea information will help in a flea battle:

The humble cat (cat, dog, etc.) flea is one of the most abundant and widespread species on Earth. You may have noticed that your dog and cat often choose different places to sleep in your house and outside. Your cat may have five or six favorite inside spots (usually in the sun) and outside even more. Many animals choose several places to sleep to avoid fleas. They might sleep in one spot for a few days and then another for a day or two. This sleep pattern breaks the flea life cycle and does reduce the effectiveness of flea attacks as adult fleas only live for a few days. However, some can live up to one hundred days in a good food environment. As you will see, the flea has a complicated life and you and your pet are invited!

My husband is an entomologist so I speak with first hand knowledge and experience.

Flea eggs do not stay on your pet, they quickly drop or roll off as they do not stick to anything. The fleas you find in your house hatched from the flea eggs that fell off of your pet. Flea eggs are tiny and opaque white or almost colorless. The fleas you may see on your cat or dog are immature fleas from eggs on the floor or outside that hatched into fleas and jumped back onto your dog. You will also see (many!) small black dots on your dog but these are only flea feces.

The flea eggs in your home and outside are the real problem. Just one female flea can produce 40-50 eggs per day. The eggs fall off into your house and outside so, either way, your dog or cat will then again attract the immature and adult fleas both inside and outside which are the children from flea parents that may still be living on your cat or dog.

Any dish detergent bath may wash away or possibly kill some fleas on your pet, however, not all fleas are killed. In a bath many migrate up to the head and ear area and then, once the bath is over, travel back to their favorite spots, usually on the back. If you use dish detergent, you can seriously dry the animals skin and may cause skin rashes, an allergic reaction, etc., and you are not addressing the real problem. The thousands of flea eggs that exist all the time in your house and outside hatch and then jump back onto your dog or cat (and you!). So, you and your pets are locked into the everlasting cycle in the life of fleas.

A search online for how to kill fleas brings up many ideas for bathing, applying natural and awful sprays, etc., but these only address the fleas on your pet. Rarely do they address the bigger problem as a whole. You can check this site for answers that address your pet, your home and the outside. As you will see, flea prevention is a much larger problem than just giving your dog a bath.

www.thebugsquad.com/.../

I have a indoor cat that hides a lot because of my two dogs. So today I finally got him to come out when the dogs were outside and noticed he was scratching bad and had scabs along his neck, back and tail. while grooming my cat as always I seen he had fleas. he does not have claws to itch himself and I feel so bad for him. What can I do to help his skin and get rid of the fleas on the animals and in the house? Please help!

Thanks,
Sue

Answers

By sheila (Guest Post)
Best Answer

HI, I have found a wonderful all natural product called "cedar cide". We have 2 cats and 2 dogs and had an awful flea infestation every year in this home with or without animals. We have fleas bad in the yard from squirrels and bring them in on us.

We spray the whole house and a jug lasts us a year and cost us a third of what we used to spend on poisons. It is safe for all pets, though I have also herd cats do bad with essential oils as they con jest the liver and this has some cedar in it. Our cats have no problem with it but got sick from the poisons.

By **Shayna** (Guest Post)
Best Answer

This is what I did to rid my kitten 10 weeks old of fleas until my Frontline plus arrives. I bought Frontline real cheap off Ebay. 8 month supply for $20.00 that included the shipping! So to kill the live fleas until it gets here. I washed her in Dawn dish soap the blue original Dawn. I did not get her wet first.

I put Dawn around her neck first and quickly rubbed it in as this helps to prevent the fleas from scurrying to her head and face area. Then I put a line of Dawn down her back and worked it in and then under her belly and worked it in. I worked it in real good. Then I added a bit of water to her and then kept on working it in. I could see the adult dead fleas falling off her. Although some did manage to escape to her head and they tried to get in her nose and eyes so for those little critters I used tweezers and picked them off her and put them in container with dawn and water so they would die.

I gently scrubbed her for about 10 minutes with the dawn on. Then I rinsed her off with clean luke warm water. Then I put some Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with water on her as the final rinse to repel new fleas. I know she has eggs and larvae that will hatch soon but by then the Frontline Plus should be here and that will work for those.

As for my house I used common table salt. I sprinkled it all over my house. Let it sit for hours then vacuumed and swept it all up. While I waited those hours I washed all bedding, curtains, any dirty laundry etc. I vacuumed corners and trim and anywhere I thought a flea would hide. To get rid of the fleas I guess I had to think like a flea.

I am dirt poor except for my 3 kitties, Nala, Rajah, and Berlioz. We just got Berlioz 3 days ago and now all 3 of my babies have fleas. All 3 are indoor cats. Nala is the oldest, she's over a year old, but the other 2 are about 4 months. Please help. I don't know what to do for them.

By Lyndsay

Answers

Best Answer

Apparently, if you bathe them really well with Dawn dish soap, it will kill the fleas. Also if you sprinkle naptha flakes, which are crushed moth balls, on all your floors, let it sit a couple of hours and then vacuum really well, this will get rid of the fleas.

You have to remove the kitties from the house while the naptha flakes are around as they are really BAD for them! You'll probably have to do both these things every few days until the fleas are gone, and don't get the soap inside their ears or in their eyes. But make sure you get the soap on the inside edges of the ears. Start at the head and work towards the tail. Google "fleas" and "home remedies".

Good luck.

How old does a kitten have to be before wearing a flea collar?

By angel from Akron, OH

Answers

Best Answer

Please, no. The poison in flea collars goes strait to the liver and the kidneys. Rid your house of fleas with dry borax in the carpets. A natural product. Please don't destroy your kitten. Keep it from harm.

Best Answer

Hello, Please DO NOT use a flea collar on your kitten. I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 20 years and they have all said the same thing. There are harmful toxins in the collar that will harm your kitten. Please use Advantage as it can be used on a kitten, it can be bought at your Vet's office. When you take your baby in for his first exam/vaccines talk to your Vet about this. Good luck

How do I get rid of fleas on my 2 month old kitten?

I rescued my kitten at about 5 or 6 weeks old, he is now 10 or 11 weeks old, my question is can I put flea drops on him now, even though the drops say to do so at 12 weeks. I give him regular baths every week or 2, and by the time he is due for a bath he has a lot of fleas on him just in that amount of time. I also go through his fur almost daily and take off the fleas that I can see and kill them. I just don't like seeing him scratch, and the poor baby has little wounds crusted over from being bitten. Anyone have any advice? I am also aware of several of the home remedies such as apple cider vinegar, however I have had cats all through growing up and know sometimes flea drops are really what work best, so can I put the drops on him although he is only 10 or 11 weeks?

Answers

Best Answer

Capstar is the only flea medicine that can be safe for kittens this young but must weigh 2 pounds. Here are the instructions:

Capstar® is an oral tablet for dogs, puppies, cats and kittens 4 weeks of age and older and 2 pounds of body weight or greater.
Capstar can be purchased at most big box stores as well all Pet stores. There is also a generic version listed on Amazon and eBay but that would take several days shipping. Capstar capsule can be opened and put in soft food in case you have trouble giving them a pill.

Here is a web site with some suggestions for taking care of fleas. the second link is about Capstar.

www.petful.com/.../

www.drugs.com/.../capstar.html

My cat had her kittens 2weeks ago and they have fleas and need to be bathed with Dawn ASAP. This is her first litter and for whatever reason she has moved them twice now. I am guessing it's because she was "protecting them"? If I bathe her kittens is she going to freak out and harm them or neglect them because I touched them too much or too early? I must get rid their fleas ASAP! Please, any advice would be appreciated!

Answers

Best Answer

I believe the kittens are old enough to treat as fleas on such tiny bodies can be deadly.
here is a site that has excellent instructions and also how to treat the mom:

www.petful.com/.../

I love animals. I have a little kitten that hangs around my house. She's my neighbors kitten. My neighbor abandoned her. I can't let her in because I am allergic and have a dog.

The kitten almost died of fleas, but I got her medicine. She was doing well, but she has fleas again. It breaks my heart to watch her suffer. I visit her everyday and sometimes lay in my bed crying.

She was rid of the fleas and I was so thankful. Should I take her to a shelter? or would they just put her down? I can't watch her suffer any more.

By Amanda

Answers

Best Answer

Are you a child or adult? If you can touch the cat, use Dawn dish soap and bathe the kitty, leave on for 5 minutes, then rinse well. Try to dry well with towels, and only do this when it is a warm day. I wish I could help you, fleas can kill a young kitty if they are not gotten rid of. If you are a child, please ask someone to help you with this. Any adult should want to help you. Wait about 2 days then use the flea medicine you used before. Hopefully, this will help this kitty.

Best Answer

Check into some of new flea and tick medicines available on the internet. The prices have come down recently. If you do take her to a shelter, be sure to find a "no kill" shelter. Or you can check with friends to see if they can take her in. I had a homeless kitten I could not keep and I brought her back to good health and sent pictures out to my email list with her story attached. I had people fighting over her and she went to a wonderful home. Be careful and dont let her go to someone you do not know. Bless you for having a heart for this homeless girl.

How do I remove a flea from my kitty's eye? It's gotten deep into her pupil and I was hoping for some home remedy? I can not afford to go to the vet. So far it hasn't caused an infection; it is just watering a lot. She could use the help. Thank you in advance.

Answers

Best Answer

ASPCA offers help for low income. You MUST take your kitten to the vet if it's in her pupil. Fleas feed on blood, and if it's gotten that deep into her eye it's bordering on too late to juggle decisions. Please take her to a professional so she doesn't lose ability to see from that eye.

My kittens are 2 days old and are infested with fleas. What can I do to get rid of the fleas?

By natalie

Answers

Best Answer

The truth is you may bathe the kittens in dawn dish detergent (the original blue one only). This will kill what is already on them. Give them a good brushing to free them from the dead ones, since they will probably end up eating them and that isn't good for them.

The next step is to rid the house of what might be eggs or larvae. You can spray distilled white vinegar all over the house. It is not fragrant but it works great. The smell of the vinegar will disappear in a day or so. I have older cats and I saturate a wash cloth with vinegar as well and wipe them down ears to toes, instantly the fleas die. I brush them a bit and they're as good as new! They also love the attention although chasing them for the vinegar rub (I have 5) is quite funny lol.

You must get rid of their favorite bedding or wash those items in the hottest water possible, but it's worth replacing for the sake of your pets. Be blessed and thank you thrifty fun friends for all the great advice in the past.

Also, I put two or three drops of apple cider vinegar in their wet food every day. This is great for maintaining flea free cats. Good luck with the kittens, they're wonderful and such a joy to have.

For the gal on disability who adopts cats, God bless you. People can judge but you are giving a loving home to the homeless. Keep finding tips here on thriftyfun.com and you will be able to care for those cats with minimal money to be spent. Vet's tend to overcharge anyway. Be blessed!

I need home remedies to deflea infested kittens.

By danitaoster

Answers

Best Answer

Give your kitten a bath in Dawn dishwashing liquid (or other grease cutting dish soap). This will kill the fleas currently on your kitten, but won't do anything to keep fleas in the environment from jumping back on your kitten though. You also need to be careful to keep the soap away from your kitten's face.

How can I get fleas off of a 4 week old kitten? I have already tried Dawn.

By Brooke from Helotes, TX

Answers:

Kittens With Fleas

Give the kitten a bath with Dawn dishwashing liquid. Start at the face and ears and work towards the back of the body. Leave the soap on a few minutes before rinsing. (05/15/2009)

By Joy

Kittens With Fleas

Wondercide works for me. www.wondercide.com (05/19/2009)

By Rachel Aguilar

Kittens With Fleas

A vet told me one time when I had the same problem to go get some kitten flea spray. Spray it on a washcloth and put the kitty in the washcloth and rub the little rascal. Watch out for the eyes! I run the washcloth around the neck and top of head so the fleas don't go on the face where you can't get them. Do all the kittens like that. Puppies can be done that way, too. (05/22/2009)

By carole

Kittens With Fleas

If the kittens have fleas, then they are in your house. Oil of American Cedar Leaf is what I've used for years with great success. It is a bit costly, and you put 2-3 drops on pieces of brown bag in every corner of EVERY room in your home. Within a week, all fleas were gone. You can get this at LoRann Oils at www.lorannoils.com/. I bought a bottle 3 years ago and still have a bit over half the bottle left. After fleas have gone, put a couple of drops on the brown paper every week for a 'flea free' home. Make sure it is cedar leaf and American. (05/22/2009)

By Joan

Top Comment

I found dawn doesnt kill the fleas. So i added clear vinegar to the dawn and mixed it up until it turns light blue. The two together does kill the fleas. You will be able to see the fleas in the sink. Also you will need to use a few differt towels to remove all the dead fleas. It will really surprise you have many you will see. It workd great for me. Dont get it in there eyes or mouth. I start at the head and go down. Ive found if you start at the tail that it runs all the fleas to there face which the kitty's dont like. I add the mix with a spoon starting at the back of head and around neck. The fleas will run down to get away from it. Keep spooning on until the whole body is covered. Shampoo in good. When you rinse again start at head and work your way down and around.

I have 4 day old kittens with fleas. How can I treat them?

Dadof Four from Chattanooga, TN

Answers:

Kittens with Fleas

I am going to try the Dawn dish liquid idea. Guess it don't matter if it is concentrated or not. Maybe concentrated would be better, cause it works on grease. lol
Thanks (06/11/2006)

By April

Kittens with Fleas

Dawn dish soap has ammonia to help break down the grease, and fumes to go with it! Some animals get bad reactions to it. For my dog, I use Basic H by shaklee (one part to one part water) to make a shampoo, and it kills the fleas and conditions the skin. It also deters mosquitoes away. It is great for anything in your house, from OOPS to Windex/Pledge! You can check it out under Personal Care in my website: www.shaklee.net/healthy_home101

Note: One quart of this stuff lasts a real long time, with no caustic fumes for sensitive noses. It is all organic, so no worries of toxic waste products! Plus it is 100% money back guarantee. And look at the Basic G, it KILLS Feline Leukemia (easily spread between cats) and disinfects up to three days compared to bleach, without the nasty affects! (06/12/2006)

By Kelly

Kittens with Fleas

Wonderful suggestions. I found 2 kittens about 4 weeks of age full of fleas. Used the Dawn dish soap and haven't found any since. Thanks for the great ideas. (09/06/2006)

By

Kittens with Fleas

Yeah- The dawn dish soap does work. Also- any brand of BABY shampoo works. It is inexpensive and doesn't hurt their eyes or skin. When they clean themselves or Mother cat is cleaning them it wont hurt to ingest. Unlike harmful chemicals where cats have been known to die. It really works. When the bath is done, use a fine toothed comb to remove dead fleas. Also, a shallow pan of sudsy water (using DAWN) with a small candle in the center will attract all stray fleas to the glowing beacon in a dark room. The next day, a bunch of dead fleas can be disposed of and forgotten about. Do as many times as needed. Cats do hate baths, so good luck! (09/26/2006)

By Abbe, Cincinnati

Kittens with Fleas

I heard that on a TV add that not only does dawn work on kittens and cats but it works on ducks too. I think I'm going to try it with my kitten. sounds like a good Idea. thank you everyone for the tips.

Erin (10/09/2006)

By Erin

Kittens with Fleas

Not sure if vinegar is good -- most cats detest the stuff. You could permanently annoy your pet doing this.

We gave them a dawn bath today. We're also going to try the salted bedding (washed frequently), and borax (or borax + diatomaceous earth is supposed to work even better), and the vet gave us some Advantage which is an oil you put on the back of their neck. It's supposed to be the best of the synthetics.

Wish us luck I'm apparently allergic to fleas and had many huge itchy red welts for the first few days... :( (10/23/2006)

By Pete (3 foundlings, with fleas)

Kittens with Fleas

IN REGARDS TO THE SALT ARE PEOPLE USING REGULAR TABLE SALT?

Editor's Note: Yes, normal table or plain salt. (11/10/2006)

By NEW KITTEN

Kittens with Fleas

I got a kitten on the 2nd of July, and a few days ago, I noticed some fleas. Just 10 mins ago, I bathed him, but the fleas are still there! I tried combing him, but his fur is too thick, and the fleas just burrow in his fur. HELp! (08/19/2007)

By

Kittens with Fleas

Question - Will the salt in the carpet/bedding or the Borax in the carpet harm the kitten? Do you have to isolate them from the room while you use this treatment?

I used Dawn on my 2 month old kitten and it did not kill any fleas (I just read that I needed to leave on for 4 minutes). They did come up to the head/neck and I was able to pinch off and kill. (09/03/2007)

By Amy

Kittens with Fleas and Salt Treatment

I too just found 2 abandoned kittens around 4 weeks old. They have a lot of fleas. How exactly does one use the salt method (amount to use, leave it on for how long, wipe it off or comb it out?) Also, if the kittens are in the garage will the fleas migrate into the house easily? Can the fleas jump on human clothes, skin or hair and be transfered into the house. Please help!

(b)Editor's Note:(/b) Do not put the salt on the kitten but on the carpets. Fleas can jump quite a few feet and lay eggs very fast so multiply quickly. (09/17/2007)

By Bugphobia

Kittens with Fleas

I tried the dawn on my kittens today, so I'm gonna cross my fingers and pray it works. (11/17/2007)

By Anita

Kittens with Fleas

I will try the dawn soap. Just wondering if anyone has used tree tea oil? We used it to finally get rid of lice at our house. It was a miracle so thinking it might work on fleas too?! (11/24/2007)

By ksnow

Kittens with Fleas

I just tried the Dawn soap on my new kitten. I got her wet then put the soap on working it in. Left it on for about 5 minutes while I worked it though her fur from the neck down then rinsed her. 7 fleas dropped off in the water. Combed her with a flea comb and haven't found anymore yet. (01/20/2008)

By Hpeter

Kittens with Fleas

Several years ago, I had found a kitten with fleas. He was sick and anemic. The Vet had told me to use PALMOLIVE DISH DETERGENT. I did and it worked.
That along with feeding him chicken noodle soup help him get better. (01/20/2008)

By TINA RENE'E

Kittens with Fleas

My cat had her kitties yesterday, 5 total and I am noticing the babies have fleas. How long should I wait to try the dawn thing. I wouldn't want the babies to get sick from the cold but am also concerned that the fleas might be burrowing in their cavities. Please advise me! (04/24/2008)

By mokita

Kittens with Fleas

I haven't used dawn soap on my kitten yet but does it work and am I suppose to use a flea comb in the water while the soap is on her? (05/04/2008)

By gabby

Kittens with Fleas

I took in a stray about a year ago that had kittens and grew attached to the little runt who later died from the fleas that infested it even after I tried every trick. My own cat had 4 kittens not too long ago and when I noticed that they had a few fleas I decided that I wasn't going to put them through all that. I applied Advantage to the mother and with what got on my fingers (she has long, thick hair and I usually have to rub some in) I just rubbed it on the back of the necks of the kittens. It wasn't much at all but it worked and it worked fast. I know your not supposed to use it on babies but I had tried everything else, thankfully it worked and none of the babies were hurt from it. (05/06/2008)

By Christine

Kittens with Fleas

I have just adopted a little guy who was rescued by a very nice Lady and now realize he is infested with Fleas. I was wondering if Dawn works better than Baby shampoo? Also is Dawn as safe as Baby shampoo? I just don't want to hurt the little fellow with treating him with something that is potentially harmful to him. (06/01/2008)

By Elaine

Kittens with Fleas

Buy a flea comb. baths will only work if you leave the kitten in the soapy water up to their neck for a few minutes which is hard with little kittens. DO not put anything onto the kittens who are less than 8-12 weeks old and always consult with your vet. Fleas jump high so once you find one immediately put the comb in a bowl of soapy warer to drown it then flush it down the toilet when you are finished. Fleas multiply quickly and can be deadly to kittens dont ingore this problem they will infest your house. (06/30/2008)

By rachelle.

Kittens with Fleas

I have an 6 week old kitten. notice he had fleas. Right away I put him in an plastic small storage bin (this is his bath tub). And filled it with warm water cool to touch. All the way up to the neck line. Brought local kitten flea shampoo. So I left the kitten in the water for about 5 minutes, and the dead fleas were floating in the water and fell to the bottm. But be careful I took the kitten out the water and wrapped him in his towel to dry. They were some survivers. When I unwrapped him they crawled into the towel. So I had to take a tweezers and pick them out and sink them into the water bath. Also sprayed the house (07/13/2008)

By Chinkie Eyes

Kittens with Fleas

I just got a kitten today. He is 7 weeks old and was given to me completely infested with fleas! I brought him to a groomer to get rid of them and was still infested. They gave me a spray that I could use to help kill and comb them out with a flea comb, so I did that also. A friend also swore up and down that sprinkling baby powder on their fur and combing it through will kill off any survivors. Waiting a few days to put on the kitten flea collar. I haven't tried the dawn dish soap bath but if this all doesn't work, I will try it. Question: is it really ok to bring the kitten in the house? I don't want my place infested with fleas! :( (07/25/2008)

By Courtney

We have 3 adorable 4 month old kittens that we have raised since birth, I have been finding a lot of fleas on them. Does anyone have a cheap and working remedy?

Load More