Getting Rid of Fleas

Category Fleas
Fleas reproduce very quickly so it is best to get rid of them as soon as you become aware of them. Not only do you need to get them off your pets, you need to get rid of them in your home too. This is a guide about getting rid of fleas.

We had a flea problem inside and outside our home. A friend of mine gave me a bucket of diatomaceous earth or also called DE. She bought it from the local feed store.

My friend uses it on her livestock, as well as, in her food to keep her wheat berries that she grinds in her mill pest free. It coats the wheat berries, but since it's food safe it's okay that she consumes it.

Make sure the kind you buy is food safe. Some pool companies sell it, but that is NOT the kind I am talking about. When you touch it, it feels like chalk. Its abrasiveness is what kills fleas, ants, cockroaches, and more. It dries them up from the inside out! It is not a chemical and is safe to use in the garden as well!

It is recommended that when you use it wear a mask to avoid breathing in the dust.

How to use: I reused an old baking powder container as it had tiny holes in the container. I sprinkled it lightly into our carpets to let it settle down and then let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then, I vacuumed it up. Don't worry about trying to get it all out. The DE will work its way down into the carpet fibers and there will do its work. Anytime a pest comes into contact with it, it will dehydrate them.

One application lasts about a year. It is safe around pets and children. We have not had a single flea found inside or outside our home since. I also used it around our home to get rid of the many ant hills in our yard.

Because it's also food safe, I sprinkle about a half teaspoon in our cat's food dish. When they consume it, it also kills internal parasites.

I called the feed store to see how much it was and they sell a 50 pound bag for $20. It may vary in your neighborhood, but just to give you an idea. The bag she bought has lasted her 7 plus years and the ice cream bucket size she gave me hardly looks touched. A little bit goes a long way.

DE has many more uses. Go here to read more about it. This link (of which I am not affiliated with) has good information: wolfcreekranch

By tasana from MO

Editor's Note: Most veterinarians do not advocate the use of garlic with pets as it can be toxic, especially to small breeds. Please consult with your own vet before trying this home remedy.

• 1 cup cooked hamburger meat
  • 1 tablespoon brewer's yeast
  • 1 clove of fresh garlic, chopped
  • 1 raw egg

Directions:

Cook hamburger meat in skillet until browned, set aside to cool. Combine egg, garlic, and brewer's yeast. Add to hamburger meat, stir until blended well. Feed to dog.

Note: They love it! Use once a month to control fleas and ticks.

By DeAnn C.

Here is one to try for fleas. Take any kind of baby wipes (mark wipes container for pet use only) and add just 1/4 cup of Skin So Soft to the wipes container. This can be used daily for either cats or dogs. Be careful around the face area. I used this trick when I was a dog groomer.

By Theresa from Aston, PA

I have several dogs. After treating your dogs, you have to do something to discourage and kill those pesky fleas from hanging around in your yard. I buy the cedar chips and sprinkle it all over the yard, especially on the dogs' trails and all around the pooping spots they return to each day to relieve themselves. I do this when I mow the lawn.

The cedar smell is faint, and disappears in 1 or 2 days. I like it! The lawn mower mulches up the cedar chips to dust, and it disappears into the grass. Fleas, bugs, etc. either die or go the other way. It's a great deterrent for fleas. Cedar chests were built for a reason in the old days, to keep bugs away from quilts during storage. It works great. I have been doing this for years, and my home and yard are flea free. I have 7 dogs.

By Mona A. from AL/GA Stateline

Borax has a skull and crossbones on it for a reason. It is very dangerous to animals. Please remember that our pets are so much closer to the ground than we are and that they have to lick themselves to get clean.

Please do not use this product for your pets. Find and use natural remedies like the orange peel and/or vinegar. Flea combs work great too!

Rita from TX

My dog is just getting over having fleas, but he's chewing his tail. Does that mean he still may have some? I've checked him and they are gone and he's been treated by the vet already. Do I still have to treat my house and everything he's been sitting on?

Answers

It is important to treat your home for fleas and the eggs left behind.

Step 1
You will need to dust, sweep, mop, and vacuum all places the dog lays on or has sat on. Eggs are laid on the pet and drop off the pet around your home.

Step 2
I would use dish soap to kill the flea eggs. You will need to create a flea trap with the dish soap. This is simple to make and very effective. Place a plate or bowl of warm water and dish soap around your home or the place that you find the most fleas.

Step 3
Make your own herbal flea spray for your dog and treating your home. Mix 4 liters of vinegar, 2 liters of water, 500 ml of lemon juice and 250 ml of witch hazel in a large pray bottle. You can use this on your animal and spray around your home to kill fleas and the eggs that are hatching.

Step 4
Vacuuming is the most effective flea control for your home. Before vacuuming lay down baking soda around your home Use a hard brush to brush this into the dog bed, rugs, and furniture. Afterwards, vacuum your home. Once you are done vacuuming you will need to remove the bag and throw it away.

Step 5
Sprinkle salt all around your home and leave it for 2 days. Afterwards, vacuum the home and throw the content of the cleaner in the trash can outside.

Step 6
Citrus spray is an excellent way to get rid of fleas. Slice a lemon thinly and add it to a pint of water. Boil the water with the citrus slices. Afterwards, turn off the stove and let the mixture sit overnight. Add this to a spray bottle and spray your home.

Step 7
Sprinkle diatomaceous earth over the areas in your home that you have fleas. Leave this in the areas for 2 days. Afterwards, vacuum and dispose of the contents in the garbage can outside your home.

Step 8
Natural flea power can also be made at home. Grind rosemary, rue, wormwood, fennel and peppermint. Place this in a pestel and morta and grind it to a fine powder. Sprinkle this around your home.

Step 1
Wash lived-in areas and items.

Step 2
Spray an insect growth regulator (IGR) like methoprene or pyriproxyfen.

Step 3
Vacuum everything!

Step 4
Use botanical dust mixed with Borate acid on your floors.

Step 5
Fill shallow bowls of water with dish detergent.

Step 6
Place the water and detergent mixture in a very shallow bowl, low enough to the ground so that the fleas accidentally hop into it. An old flying disk or low-walled bowl does the job quite well.

We had our dog take a pill for fleas. It kills the big fleas then the eggs for up to 3 months. So we did not have to do the house. Your dog will scratch, be patient.

if your dog was treated for fleas then most likely he is scratching where fleas attacked him before.

• He may have created a "hot spot" in that area from time spent chewing before flea treatment.
  • Try some of these solutions that may help him stop or break the cycle of chewing.
  • Gently wash the area with a mild shampoo (baby shampoo is good) and rinse with warm water. This can be done several times in a week.
  • Cleanse the area using witch hazel on a cotton ball, daily.
  • Add a thin coating of Neosporin on the spot, daily.
  • Give a little bit of liquid Benadryl mixed in with some wet dog food a couple times a day for 2 days.
  • Coconut oil has antifungal properties and can be useful both topically and internally.
  • Some people use Tea Tree Oil but I hesitate to use this because it can be harmful if the dog licks it and they can really twist when they have an itch.

Probably a good normal cleaning, especially his bedding, and vacuum will be all the house cleaning necessary.

I am having a flea problem, does anyone have any advice on what is the best and long lasting way to get rid of fleas in my home? I am also on a fixed income so I can't afford professional or really expensive remedies! Thanks and I look forward to hearing from all of you.

By Candy from North Myrtle Beach, SC

Answers

Don't ask me how this works but it does. Someone told my mother to do this. I have four "babies" in the house so I know this works. I do use frontline on them but not on my furniture. Place a lamp on the floor and set a shallow bowl of water under it. Squirt Dawn Dishwashing, original scent in the bowl of water but do not disturb. The light attracts them and they fall in the water. I've counted as many as 10 fleas at a time. Change each night till you no longer see any fleas in the bowl. I tried it without the dawn with no results.

Hey there Candy.

There are two problems to address here; the house and the pets. If you really want to stretch your dollar then go out and buy the appropriate sized flea control for your pets. Frontline is labeled for one month but really works for about three (although I recommend using it monthly for the first 2-3 months).
For cats, apply it the neck, as directed. For dogs; give them a good bath and make sure they are super dry. Apply the frontline down the midline of the back. One spot on the head, and continue all the way to the base of the tail. Be sure to part the hair and apply it all the way to the skin. (You should have about four or five different spots along the back, including the head and tail base).

Now the house. Buy some 20 Mule Team Borax from the store and sprinkle your carpets with it. Use a decent amount, enough to make the carpets white. Then stomp it in! I would leave it there for about a week..letting people walk all over it! (This really works it into the carpets!) After the week, take a vacuum to it! You'll suck up all the visible stuff but the Borax will forever be ground into the carpet. The secret is that the microscopic crystals interfere with the flea's ability to breath and the egg's ability to hatch.

Note: Make sure you cover all carpeted areas, even throw rugs and under the bed.
Frontline doesn't wash off, but hold off on pet baths for a week after application.

How do we rid our dog of fleas? And how can we keep her from getting them in the first place?

By Dot

Answers

I bathe my girls with original blue Dawn dish soap every one to two weeks. I also use original Skin So Soft bath oil from Avon. Both of these products kill on contact. With the SOS I mix one part SOS and five parts water. Keep in a spray bottle. I keep a tiny spray bottle with SOS in my pocket. When I check my girls bellies the fleas will run across and that is when I spray them dead. You don't need much. This stuff smells great. Be sure to rub it into the skin. I also vacuum every day and wash their bedding.

I need a cheap way to get rid of fleas on a dog that is 11 yrs. old and has never had fleas before. Help.

By Dawn_April7 from Maynardville, TN

Answers:

Economical Way to Get Rid of Fleas

The most economical, and the best way to get rid of fleas, takes time and combing.

First, you must purchase what is called a "flea comb." The teeth are fairly close together, and you must comb for minutes, very gently, at a time. Once you have combed gently for 10 or 20 minutes, you must begin putting the fleas and hairs from your pet into a container that has water and dish soap in it, or a container that has water and oil in it. (09/29/2009)

By Carol L.

Economical Way to Get Rid of Fleas

A safe way is to use Borax in carpets. Leave for 2 weeks before you vacuum. That's besides bathing your dog a couple times. (09/29/2009)

By muttmom

Economical Way to Get Rid of Fleas

This is going to sound crazy but it works wonders and is very cheap! Take an aluminum pie pan (dollar store) and fill it with lemon dish soap. Place it on the carpet and shine a light in it. You can use a desk lamp or something similar. Keep overnight, in the morning you will see lots of fleas in the soap. I have used this myself, takes about a week, then no more fleas! (09/30/2009)

By nacolemans

Economical Way to Get Rid of Fleas

K-9 Advantix is the best stuff around. We get it one month at a time, so it is only $13 a month for our 55lb dog, and $10 a month for our 7lb dog. Our dogs were both itching themselves to death. We put k-9 Advantix on them and the next morning there were dead fleas all over their beds. (09/30/2009)

By sanmer25

Load More