Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens

Category Fleas
You will want to take care when treating a nursing cat and her kittens for fleas. This guide contains many helpful ideas for doing this safely. This is a guide about fleas on my cat and her kittens.

My cat had kittens 4 days ago. She had fleas before she was pregnant, while she was pregnant, and now after she had her 3 kittens. Her kittens now have fleas and I don't know how to take care of it.

Before my cat even had kittens we washed her and our dog, we bombed the house, we shampooed the carpet, we put on flea spray, but those fleas just kept coming back! Now that she had kittens we don't know what to do since they are so young. We don't know want them to get sick and die, so what can we do to get the fleas taken care of ASAP? Please respond ASAP. These kittens need help!
-Sincerely.

By Ally from Washington, DC

Answers

Best Answer

I would ask the vet about a product to use on the nursing mama cat, and then if it were me, I would flea comb the kittens, to get them off manually and drop the fleas into a cup of soapy water. Also you can use a lice comb for fleas, and then it can have double use later.

This article has a skin so soft recipe, but I have not tried it as of yet. If there are just a few fleas on the kittens, get aloe baby wipes and go over the coat, softly down to the skin. Don't make the kitten wet enough to be cold, and then go over kitten with a lice comb or flea comb. This is what I would do with a small amount of fleas, with a large amount, I would bathe in warm water, with tear free baby shampoo, and lid full of peroxide. Mix this and bathe the kitten. This is iffy, because if the kitten gets cold it can get sick.Too many fleas will kill the kitten from anemia.

Immediately put in in the bed with a warm hot water bottle for it and cover it with lots of absorbent towels, and place it back on it's mom. Poor baby kittens with fleas have such a hard time. As far as the worms go, all kittens have worms when they are little, most of the time, that is why their little bellies stick out.

Just remember to keep the babies warm and check with the vet about worms on the mom, I am wondering if they have a pill that will kill all of them or not like they do for doggies.

Go over the babies all the time with the aloe wipes, it is supposed to discourage fleas, it will not get rid of them, just discourage them, and it makes them happy, especially if you softly brush them like their mommy licks them, along the face and body, they feel like they are being groomed and loved on my mama cat...:)

Blessings,

My mother cat and kitten are infested with fleas and bleeding. If they sit anywhere there is blood! What do I do?

By miggie from Flemington, NJ

Answers:

Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens

Use plain Pert shampoo. It shocks the flea into a coma for a few minutes and you can brush or comb out, or you can take vinegar, 1 teaspoon to a spray bottle of water. That helps deter them. Cats don't like vinegar too much. (07/17/2010)

By Lisa

Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens

A few drops pf Tea Tree Oil in water can be very helpful. Fleas do not like the oil, but it will not hurt the kittens. You must only use a little in the water then you can apply it with cotton balls on the kittens and maybe something bigger like a small cloth with the mother. Wet the cloth or the cotton and make sure you get it down to the skin. The oil will also relieve the itch.
(07/17/2010)

By dvsbeauty

Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens

The blood loss is going to be particularly bad for the kitten. The fact that blood is left behind wherever they've been sitting is very concerning. I suggest you get them to the vet ASAP.

Last year I rescued a kitten and he had fleas. I took him to the vet the day after we found him. He was just under one pound, and was too little to medicate for the fleas. He was very lethargic and probably would have died in a day or two if we hadn't taken him in. I had to wash him with dishwashing liquid and comb him with a flea comb. Once he was big enough, we gave him meds to get rid of the fleas. The vet should be able to give you good advice for treating your cats.

Please take them to the vet, especially the kitten! I hope it goes well for all of you. Best of luck. (07/17/2010)

By Lisa

Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens

You need to get rid of the fleas on the animals, house, and property, ASAP. The solution that I would follow is put Frontline or Advantage on the cats. Read on what age/product can be used on a young kitten. You can get those products from any local vet or PetCo. It's to be used monthly on the back of their necks. The cats almost certainly have tape worms from chewing the fleas.

They need to be wormed with Droncit or whatever the vet recommends. The new dewormers take care of all of them at the same time. Don't go getting holistic here. Do it right and have the vet give you what is needed. The next thing is to deflea your house and all other areas that your cats go. Go to PetSmart for the right products. Clean all throw rugs and sleeping areas. Another tip, the product, Revolution, kills ear mites.

From personal experience:
The tapes cause the cats to get the runs that end up outside the litterbox and splashes the sides of the box. Very stinky and messy; also dehydrates the cat. Also, the cats might not use the box if it's a bad experience for kitty using the box, like getting stomach cramps or pain while pooping.

Advantage is my favorite to use on a cat. Frontline has something in it that us more poisonous in the ingredients or toxic to the environment.

(07/21/2010)

By Penny Melko

My cat and her kittens have fleas. The kittens are only 3 weeks old. The kittens are crying on and off. Do you think that the fleas are harming them so much that they are crying or is it something else?

By kita from Philadelphia, PA

Answers:

Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens

Please read all of the archived posts below! Cats, and especially kittens because they are so little, can become anemic from the fleas biting them for their blood to eat and mama and babies can get tapeworms if they swallow any fleas :-( There are lots and lots of helpful tips in the archives! Good luck and let us know how your mama and baby kitties are doing! (10/15/2009)

By Ann

Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens

Get you a lemon and peel it use the peel and white part and brew it into a tea when it is cool take a soft cloth and rub the tea on the kitty's mom to and do this about every 3 days. It will kill the fleas and not harm the wonderful little ones. Just enough to wet them not heavy coverage is needed. Debbie (10/16/2009)

By debbie

Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens

We had an outside mama cat and couldnt get her to come in when she had her litter. The kittens got fleas and they literally drained them of blood all but one died before we could get them to the vet. We had to give it a vitamin paste and hand feed it milk to keep it alive. It was years ago so I dont remember what we did to get the fleas off of it, but it was something from the vet. (10/16/2009)

By christi

Fleas on My Cat and Her Kittens

If your kitten's have fleas and the mom will let you hold them, then take them inside the house and bathe them with Dawn dish soap, as for the mom cat you may want to get some flea drops from the vet. There is something here where I live called Flea drops and you drop it on the neck of the cats or dogs, and 15 minutes later you will see the fleas jumping off the cat. It's also a good idea after you've gotten rid of their fleas to sprinkle sevensdust on the perimeter of the lawn, it kills fleas and snakes and other bugs so you won't have to keep doing this.

Good Luck (12/07/2009)

By Jessicca

How do I safely get rid of fleas from a mother cat and her 3 week old kittens? The mama cat is not going to let me bathe her. I tried it before and have the scars to prove it.

My 5 month old kittens have fleas. The mama was a stray that I adopted when I saw that she was pregnant. How can I rid my cat and kittens of fleas?

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.