Getting Rid of Fleas in Human Hair

Category Fleas
Sometimes in the case of a bad flea infestation, fleas will also get into the hair of the pet's owners. This is a guide about getting rid of fleas in human hair.

My head was itching and when I scratched my head, I found a flea. I immediately took a shower and washed my hair very thoroughly. I didnt find any more fleas but when I scratched my head again, under my fingernails I found little black spots. I know for a fact that they are not head lice or hatched fleas. Are they flea eggs? What are they? How do I treat them?

By Rebecca

A friend's dog is the reason I have fleas in my home. I've tried sprays and smoke bombs and they're not going. When I smoke a fag (cigarette), they crawl all over my face coz they are in my hair. I saw you say to someone that they don't lay eggs in human hair coz they're not the host, but am I since I have no dog or cat? What should I do for me and my home? Please help it's embarrassing scratching 24/7 :-)

By Lou

Answers

I have a feeling these are not fleas but may be. I would lean more towards lice. Also to make sure you can see a Dr or a hair dresser. They will both be able to help you. Good Luck!

We had flea infestation & nothing worked until we found out about Diatomaceous Earth. You can find out all about it at thebugsquad.com Sadly, it's not very well known so much time & money is wasted on sprays & foggers. Good luck & keep is updated;)

I agree. Fleas don't crawl they hop. If you find you have little white bumps along the hair shaft, it's head lice.

Now this might sound funny but over here, we have found that mayonnaise is the easiest and cheapest cure.

What are the products I can use for fleas and for lice in human hair?

By Dianna D

How do I get rid of fleas in my hair?

By Hailey :) from Moore, OK

Answers

Wash your hair regularly-any shampoo will do.

The big thing, though, is to find out where the fleas are coming from and do what it takes to get rid of them at the source. Treat pets and bedding (including yours), carpet, upholstery, and other favourite flea hang-outs like under the sinks and in baseboard. You could be bringing them indoors from the soil around your house if you have sand fleas in your area.

Vacuum and do other regular cleaning to keep fleas under control.

Fleas do not usually live on humans. Are you sure they are fleas and not lice? You should look at your carpet and bed for fleas. You can sprinkle Borax on the carpet and let it sit a couple of hours then vacuum thoroughly. Do this every few days for a while. Wash your bedding in HOT water. Treat your pets with flea drops that go on the back of their necks (check Petsmart or your vet).

Sounds like lice to me. Do you have children?" Check their heads. There are organic remedies which do not envolve toxic chemicals.

Head lice are rampant these days for some reason. It's nothing to be ashamed of, just part of life.

If you can, have someone separate your hair and look for little white things that look like dandruff. Especially look in the back of the neck and behind the ears. If there are little white things there, they could be either lice or dandruff. Dandruff will flick away easily. Lice will not. Lice and their eggs can be killed by using a product called Nix. Use it exactly as the directions say. Make sure you use the comb, and what the comb cannot get, use your fingernails to pull them down and off the hair shaft. Then wash your towels and bedding in hot water. It's a good idea, if your couch cushions have zippered or removable covers to wash them in hot water too. Vacuum everything that can be vacuumed

Fleas are tiny black little critters, they usually don't live on human hair. If you think you do have fleas in your hair though, I believe the same thing above (Nix) will work the same way.

I hope this helped you. God Bless You!

Yes! Fleas are horrible but the best way too get rid of them is to mix a little bit of vingar (white) into your shampoo. It works perfectly! It may burn a little but it kills them at the source! :)

You do note need toxic chemicals to get rid of fleas (or lice), you simply need to be vigilant and willing and able to spend the time to use a nit comb daily. I have found the toxic sprays do not work, anyway, as they cannot get the larvae. It's not easy to get them out, and I have not yet accomplished it with mine, but have just been told by a friend which remedies work best.

Tip: Whatever you do, do not go to an ER or bother with a doctor. They will likely believe you are having "delusional parasitosis".

Facts

All fleas can live in human hair with the absence of other, more preferred hosts, but there is one flea that loves human hair called a "Human Flea" or "City Flea" and it's scientific name is Pulex Irritans. I have that one, I believe.

It is notoriously difficult to get rid of, even hospitals get infested with them and have difficulty getting rid of them. I believe this is not just because the larvae are so incredibly virulent but also because it is almost impossible to see the fleas with the naked eye when they are at their first stages of development.

Treatments

Flea larva are nearly impervious to all chemicals and they burrow deep into carpets and other areas and can live up to two years in dormancy. So be sure to treat your home, first:

Diatomaceous earth can be sprinkled everywhere as this dries out the larva. Just don't inhale it a lot as it will dry you out, too. Some pet stores sell it with names like "Fleabusters" and "Fleago" or you can get it at some garden centers.

Boric acid powder is supposed to be the very best because it gets down deep and keeps killing them for a couple years.

I am trying first a half/half mixture of salt and baking soda, another remedy I found that can dry them out.

For Hair and Body
It's possible all you need is a good citrus conditioner in your hair and a daily bath and shower and nit-combing until you find no more eggs. Citrus, peppermint, cedarwood, rosemary, tea tree oil, eucalyptus oil, and some other ingredients that you can search for online all help repel fleas.

I found a very inexpensive "Rosemary Mint" shampoo and conditioner. Dandruff shampoos that have some of these natural ingredients added are also great as long as you wash them out soon enough and don't use them more often than recommended on the bottle, otherwise they could irritate your skin.

Other products that can be found in natural food stores and that kill bugs in the hair:

Neem oil spray: (I found Neem Oil Soap - couldn't find the spray but I like it - and Neem toothpaste as they got in my mouth as well.) You can find instructions for using it by doing an internet search.

Lemons: Take one lemon and cut it in slices. Soak the slices in very hot water. Leave them for 12 hours and then strain the water into a spray bottle and spray it all over you, letting it air dry.

Apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar can also be used) rinsed through after washing hair. Another rinse I've been told to use after washing is plain old mouthwash.

You can also bathe daily with bath salts that contain eucalyptus and/or make your own bath with neem or neem leaves if you can find them - both are said to kill fleas. Just make sure you put a shampoo and/or conditioner into your hair with flea-repellent ingredients while you bathe, then wash it out after.

I must add that there are a few hair products in the African-American hair section that contain ingredients great for repelling fleas with the added benefit of making it easier to get a nit comb through your hair - such as leave - in super moisturizing treatments with olive and tea tree oils. These are great for making it easier to comb out the flea eggs, etc. (And for people who have lice it's even more perfect as lice do not like clean, smooth, moisturized hair that is hard to latch onto, nor do they like thicker, curlier hair, so most people who get head lice have straighter, finer hair.)

Fleas have been around for 33 million years so they are well-adapted to survive. So continue whatever treatment seems to be working until you are 100% sure they are gone.

Hope that helps- Good luck!

I have a question for your readers. Our dog has gotten a few fleas lately. We have treated the carpets and also the dog. Can fleas be passed onto humans in their hair as this is where they love to be on the dog?

Thanks for your replies.

BBS

Answers

Yes. About 25 years ago, I had a dog and lived in an area of the country where fleas were not killed off in the wintertime cold. We were in an apartment complex, and the area where my dog needed to go outside had fleas which the dog would then bring inside. The fleas would bite my ankle area overnight. We tried everything to get rid of the fleas, but the dog would bring more in. All we could really do was keep the amount of fleas to a minimum. When we moved back to a colder area of the country, we flea-bombed the inside of the moving vans and also left them outside in the cold for three days before unloading the moving vans. It seems that we didn't bring any of the buggers with us, because we never had a flea problem after that.

So, long story short is that fleas do bite people, but I don't think they "live" on people like they can live on dogs and cats. I never had any in my hair, not a single bite. My thought is that the dog slept near my feet, so they probably left the dog overnight, bit me, and hopped back on the dog. I'm not sure if this is a typical experience, but it was definitely my experience.

Good luck trying to get on top of the little buggers. :)

Anonymous

Well, they might get in your hair but believe me they won't be there long enough to live there when you feel one - LOL! I once lived in a beach area where the fleas were so rampant that you just couldn't keep them under control and no matter how careful you would be they got inside.

The creepiest feeling I ever had living there was when one got in my hair and was crawling around on my scalp when I was sleeping. No surprise to say I woke up and was going crazy trying to brush it out. Finally gave up, jumped in the shower and shampooed my hair which drowned the little creep ;-) Needless to say I gained even more empathy than I already had for animals who get those creepy critters all over them!

Oh, and I wasn't ever biten by a flea. I think, just like with other types of insects, it depends on a particular persons body chemistry whether or not the bug will be attracted to bite.

Yes, they bite people. Especially your ankles. They don't live on your body. Get your dog a flea treatment from the vet, then vacuum thoroughly and throw the bag out in the garbage right away. Use flea treatment on the areas where the dog sleeps, then vacuum again and throw the bag away. If this doesn't help them, you will have to have an exterminator come in.

Good luck

Here in the south you don't even need an animal to get fleas. In the summer, they are so rampant that they jump on your legs when you walk across a parking lot, lawn, or down your own driveway. You unknowingly bring them into your home where they multiply quickly.

Use a monthly flea med on your pet. They're expensive and not organic, but worth every penny. They however, don't keep fleas off your pet, just kill the the fleas that bite the pet. Frequent baths help a lot; buy cheap baby shampoo and put in some tea tree oil. It's super gentle on dogs and will soothe their flea bites.

I keep a jar with about an inch of oil in it. Anytime a flea jumps on us in our home, we catch it and put it in the jar where it drowns in the oil. I purposely walk around our home (during an infestation), stopping to pick any fleas off me and drop them into the jar. It takes a while, but you get them without the use of any chemicals. It's a simple method that you can use when you only have a few fleas and if you keep on top of it, you will not get an infestation.

Make sure you check the pet's bedding and wash it frequently. You can buy diatomaceous earth to sprinkle on you pet instead of flea powder. It is totally organic and works by cutting the fleas (the tiny dust has sharp edges) so they dehydrate and die. You can also sprinkle it around the house and vacuum it up a few days later, and sprinkle it on your lawn to kill fleas outside, too.

Anonymous

Jumping in to give a warning about tea tree oil. Please be sure to never treat a pet, especially small to medium dogs and any cats, with anything more than one drop of tea tree oil per teaspoon of carrier oil or water and make sure they do not ingest it in any way (like licking cleaning). Tea tree oil can cause poisoning, central nervous system, kidney and liver damage in not only pets but also in some humans especially if ingested.

I have had no dog now for a year. 2 years ago I had my house sprayed with chemicals twice. I have got fleas; they are in my hair and bite my body. I am scratching all the time.

By Yvonne

Answers

Wash your hair with liquid dawn dish soap and that will rid your hair of fleas. Also wash your dog with liquid dawn. Sprinkle salt on your floors and carpets and leave on for a few days if you can [on carpet] and vacuum. This will kill fleas and flea eggs. Do again as necessary until you get rid of fleas.

She doesn't have a dog anymore. At the risk of sounding indelicate, your infestation might not be fleas. If you don't see them jumping from your hair when you vigorously scratch it over say the tub where you can see them, you may have lice.

If you do, put some mayonnaise in your hair, cover with a shower cap for an hour, then wash your hair. If this doesn't work, you may want to see a doctor.

Are you sure they are fleas? Perhaps you have head lice or bed bugs?

I have seen the treatments for the pets and the home, but how do we get them out of our hair? My granddaughter and I have it the worst. The guys just shave their heads, we can't do that, although, how we would love to. We have tried washing our hair with Dawn that is great for a day or two, but then they come back. It is so embarrassing, and annoying as well. Can someone please tell me how we can get them out of our hair for good.

By Susan B

Answers

Go to store and by Nix lice remover. Follow directions on box. Humans don't get fleas they get lice.

I did a Google search. On Wikipedia it stated baking soda smothers fleas. For carpets put the baking soda on and leave for a couple of days. Then vacuum.

I would try it for hair. Just rub the baking soda in your hair and leave it in for a day. Then wash your hair with Dawn Detergent and see what happens.

Smother head in hair conditioner. Then comb it through and it brings the nits out with it. Rinse afterwards. You may have to repeat in a day or so but it's much better than using chemicals. Use a fine toothed comb.

My hair seems to be permanently infested with fleas. We have no pets, but have family who have and I know they have fleas. How do I get rid of them? I have called in the professionals to clear my home. How do I clear my self and my husband?

By Ida

I have had lice in the past (horrid experience) and I remember when I was getting them out of my head they crawled. Earlier today I shook my head and say a brown creature no bigger than the pin of a needle fall out and hop away. A month prior my cat caught a bunch of fleas, which we treated. What was it, and how would I go about making sure they never return?

By Gerald from Vancouver

Load More