Getting Rid of Fleas in Human Hair

I have seen the treatments for the pets and the home, but how do we get them out of our hair? My granddaughter and I have it the worst. The guys just shave their heads, we can't do that, although, how we would love to. We have tried washing our hair with Dawn that is great for a day or two, but then they come back. It is so embarrassing, and annoying as well. Can someone please tell me how we can get them out of our hair for good.

By Susan B

Go to store and by Nix lice remover. Follow directions on box. Humans don't get fleas they get lice.

I did a Google search. On Wikipedia it stated baking soda smothers fleas. For carpets put the baking soda on and leave for a couple of days. Then vacuum.

I would try it for hair. Just rub the baking soda in your hair and leave it in for a day. Then wash your hair with Dawn Detergent and see what happens.

Smother head in hair conditioner. Then comb it through and it brings the nits out with it. Rinse afterwards. You may have to repeat in a day or so but it's much better than using chemicals. Use a fine toothed comb.

I go over my friend's a lot and they have like 7 pets. So the fleas are really bad. I just sit in the chair and within 5 minutes my whole back is bitten up and my arms. And I been noticing that a few of my friends are digging at their head. I just slept over and now I'm digging at my head. What do I do? There has got to be a cheap easy way to get them out. Plz help me.

By Cassie F from NY

Answers

First of all, just because someone has 7 pets, it doesn't automatically mean they have fleas! Your friend needs to get rid of the fleas on her animals and in her home. A flea infestation is nothing to mess with and for a sick, young, health-compromised or elderly animal it can mean death! Not to mention that the animals are being tortured 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The animals need to be treated with something approved by a vet - not the dangerous junk you can buy at WalMart or Petco and NOT with flea powder, flea collars or flea spray, AND the house needs to be bombed with insecticide. The animals must be removed from the house in order for that to be done, and not return until it is safe for them to do so.

Vacuuming and emptying the vacuum bag outside is important. You can vacuum up salt or talcum powder to "dry out" the fleas going into the vacuum bag. Google these things for recommendations.

Your friend must be aggressive in treating the flea infestation. (1) remove animals from the house and take them to a groomer for a bath and treat with a vet approved once-a-month preventative such as Advantix while there at the groomers or vets office, (2) find a safe temporary place for the animals while (3) the house is bombed with insecticide to kill the fleas. Repeated bombing will be necessary at recommended intervals to kill the fleas in various life stages.

Bombing will kill the adults, not the eggs - when the eggs hatch it needs to be bombed again. Remember - there is no shortcut to eliminating an infestation of fleas, but it should not have been allowed to get this bad in the first place - now it's going to be a chore and follow-up is essential or it will just balloon again.

In my opinion, your friend is guilty of animal abuse and neglect. It's not healthy for the animals or any humans in that house. If necessary, treat the yard with something from Home Depot (and use it as recommended on the label and don't let the animals walk in it until it's safe).

Just take a bath and shampoo your hair really well. The soap will kill the fleas. Unfortunately, the next time you visit your friend's house, new fleas will jump on you again unless they take care of the problem.

Ann was right about what needs to be done. Unfortunately she took off on you, and you have no control over how your friend's parents take care of their animals.