Painting Particle Board - Categories:

PaintingHome Improvement

Painting Particle Board

I have a particle board wall. I need to know what kind of paint I should use on it. We are getting ready to build a house in the near future, but we have a room built from particle board. I want to paint it for now to make it look good. What do you suggest?

By CChandler from Piketon, OH

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I would use a gloss paint, preferably oil based enamel or latex.

September 7, 2009 Flag

I want to paint my kitchen cabinets. They are made out of particle board though. The existing paint is coming off now. Can I sand these and then use a primer and paint them? Help please. They look terrible. Thanks.

Kaci2 from Atlanta, GA

Answers:

Painting Particle Board

I had the same type cabinets and doors, too, with just the ugly old brown fake laminate paneling look on top. I got so tired of looking at it that I was willing to change it to anything. I bought some of the spray can speckle paint that looks textured after it dries. I got the hunter green color, because my kitchen is red and the theme is apples and roosters so the green matched well.

I first sanded the surface with a sander which removed most of the fake laminated paneling look. It then gave the surface something for the paint to stick too. I did not even use primer first. I took my doors off and sprayed them outside in the sun to dry quicker. The textured paint in the can comes out very wet and moist when applied and your surface has to be lying flat so it don't run. After they dried it gave a deeper grain look, and dries hard and thick.

I then sprayed on a clear sealer from a can just to keep any grains from falling off if touched or rubbed against. I have had them up for 8 years now and there's no chipping or peeling or anything. I love the look too. The type paint I'm talking about comes in a spray can and comes in lots of colors. It gives a stone granule look. It's like 3 dollars per can. Sold in Walmart or Lowes.

It originally came out to be used on lots of surfaces to change the look, like lamp bases, flower pots, even plastic tables. I did my old lamp base in the burnt sierra color to match my decor. If your item's covering will be exposed to water or moisture just cover the surface at least 3 times with a clear sealer to bond it better. That also is sold in Walmart with a clear lid for $1.00. (06/29/2008)

By theseamstress

June 28, 2008 Flag

Does anybody know what type of paint to use on particle board kitchen cabinets? Preferably a kind of paint that doesn't stink.
Thanks,
- Linne

Answers:

Painting Particle Board

Because it has a lot of glue in it, it would be best to talk to the painting department of your local hardware store. You may be able to find a nontoxic paint that will do the trick. (10/10/2002)

By ThriftyFun

Painting Particle Board

I had kitchen cabinet that had particle board in the center of them. Instead of painting them I popped the center out and put a screen in the center. I bought the screen at UBC. It was kind of a plastic coated screen but it looked wonderfull and it only cost me about $10. (01/24/2003)

By ipaul25

Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingSeptember 7, 2009
Over the Door Ironing Board
Using an Over the Door Ironing Board
sheet of particle board
Staining Particle Board Flooring
Particle Board Desk
Repairing Particle Board Furniture
Bulletin Board
Making a Bulletin Board
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 2, 2016 at 11:24:34 PM on 10.0.0.70 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.