Dollar Bill for Measuring

Every piece of US paper money in your wallet/purse is 6 inches long. Folded it in half, and you have a 3 inch measuring stick, and so on. I can't tell you the number of times I've used this trick at Home Depot to get a rough idea of the size of something.

By JodiT from Aurora, CO

Sorry, but if you take out any current U.S. bill and measure it, you will find that it is actually just over 6 and 1/2 inches.

December 27, 2010 Flag

Out and about and need to measure something for just the right fit but no measuring tape handy? Use a dollar bill (any US paper money will do) to measure! Bills are just a little over 6 inches long. So measure using the bill and multiply by 6!

By Trisha from Ventura, CA

Dollar Bill for Measuring

Not a bad idea! I usually end up measuring by the length of my hand from base to fingertip, which I know is 7 inches, and go from there. (02/18/2010)

By JustPlainJo

Home and Garden Home Improvement Helpful HintsDecember 28, 2010
White Low Flow Toilet
Saving Money on Your Sewer Bill
A man holding a dollar.
Shopping at Dollar Stores
Measuring Elastic
Measuring Elastic for Clothing
Insulating Your Home, Insulation Ready to Be Installed
Insulating Your Home