Dollar Bill for Measuring

Keep in mind that all US paper currency is approximately 6.25 inches long. This bit of information can come in quite handy if you need to take a quick measurement when out shopping or simply are not near a tape measure or ruler.

Every piece of US paper money in your wallet/purse is 6 inches long. Folded it in half, and you have a 3 inch measuring stick, and so on. I can't tell you the number of times I've used this trick at Home Depot to get a rough idea of the size of something.

By Irishwitch from Aurora, CO

Out and about and need to measure something for just the right fit but no measuring tape handy? Use a dollar bill (any US paper money will do) to measure! Bills are just a little over 6 inches long. So measure using the bill and multiply by 6!

By Tahloolabelle from Ventura, CA

Answers:

Dollar Bill for Measuring

Not a bad idea! I usually end up measuring by the length of my hand from base to fingertip, which I know is 7 inches, and go from there. (02/18/2010)

By Lelia Jo Cordell

Consumer Advice General AdviceNovember 7, 2019
🎄
🍂