Helpful HintsHome Improvement

Dollar Bill for Measuring

Every piece of US paper money in your wallet/purse is 6 inches long. Folded it in half, and you have a 3 inch measuring stick, and so on. I can't tell you the number of times I've used this trick at Home Depot to get a rough idea of the size of something.

By Irishwitch from Aurora, CO

Sorry, but if you take out any current U.S. bill and measure it, you will find that it is actually just over 6 and 1/2 inches.

Out and about and need to measure something for just the right fit but no measuring tape handy? Use a dollar bill (any US paper money will do) to measure! Bills are just a little over 6 inches long. So measure using the bill and multiply by 6!

By Tahloolabelle from Ventura, CA

Answers:

Dollar Bill for Measuring

Not a bad idea! I usually end up measuring by the length of my hand from base to fingertip, which I know is 7 inches, and go from there. (02/18/2010)

By Lelia Jo Cordell