Making a Pot Holder Scissors Pouch

A pretty or seasonal potholder is the first step in making a simple scissors pouch. This is a guide about making a potholder scissors pouch.

January 10, 2006 Flag

These are pot holder scissor holders.

Instructions

1. Fold a pot holder into a cone shape.
  2. Hot glue the sides together. Careful not to burn yourself.
  3. Ad

4. You can use the loop at the top for hanging or poke holes to run a ribbon for hanging.
  5. Next decorate with silk flowers, beads, feathers, sequins, etc. to hide the seam.
  6. Add a pair of kitchen shears or sewing scissors with this note glued to the front.
    I keep my scissors,
    in this sack.
    If you use them,
    put them back.

Thanks to my cousin Darlene for this idea. I made them for many friends, the mail lady, the Avon lady, etc. I've also made these small sacks for kids scissors and for my desk.

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

I have also used good sturdy pot holders folded in half and sewn up the side to put on the handles of cast iron skillets when they are being used. Keeps your hands off the hot handles and are great when you put the skillet in the oven to cook a johnny cake.

Top Comment

I have been making these for a long time. It is amazing how pretty you can make them with different decorations. Just google, "scissors, pot holder" under images and you will see a lot of cute ideas.

Yours is one of the prettiest I have seen. Now, I want to go make more of these. I found some at the thrift store. Around Christmas, you will find all those Christmas ones, which are a fun way to show off your scissors.

Top Comment

I use mine to hold sharp knives in my kitchen drawer. Perfect for paring and other sharp objects. Thanks for the easy directions!

December 12, 2011 Flag

I purchased a set of pot holders from the Dollar Tree. You simply get out the hot glue gun (high temp is best for this one). Fold one up 1/3 the way and glue the sides. Some of my glue oozed out, so I just stuck a purple rose on each end. Put in a post it note pad and small pencil or a couple of pens and you have a nice little note pad holder. You can glue magnets on the back for the fridge like I am going to to.

The next is cute, too. Fold one over at the angle, and glue under the edging. This is perfect for scissors, and I even added straight pins, safety pins, and needles to the front. Again, magnets on the back lets you put them on the fridge or in my case the metal file cabinets that keep my sewing table up.

Learning from my mistakes will make your project more fun for gift giving. I will make more of these, but will make them out of two sided holders. The apple doesn't show in each of these and that is a shame. Also, I will make them with the hanger in the middle for the note holder, but with the hanger on the corner for the scissor holders.

This is a 20 minute project at best, so you could be making them all the way to the big day and not miss a beat.

Disclaimer: I said they are .50 each, but that is just for the pot holders. If you add a pen, scissors, and note pad, you are probably looking at 1.50 to 1.75 for each present. That is still pretty "Thrifty and Fun"!

Hope you N-JOY this.

Source: I have seen these at craft shows and in books.

By Sandi from Salem, OR

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

July 8, 2009 Flag

I will be making kitchen scissor holders to hang on the wall for Christmas this year. You take a potholder, a regular sized one, and fold it to a cone shape like an ice cream cone.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 31, 2008 Flag

I am looking for instructions for making scissor covers from potholder.

turtlelady from Orlando, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I remember seeing those in Woman's Day magazine a while back. Here's a version featured here on ThriftyFun:

http://www.thri  7545232.tip.html

I was going to give you the same instructions Kaelle shows links for. My mother still makes these. And, by the way, she lives in Orlando!

January 31, 2015 Flag

How can I make a magnetic 2 scissor holders using 1 potholder?

By Joan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here is what I did. It's super easy and just takes a bit of hot glue.

N-joy!

Crafts SewingDecember 14, 2016
Clean Scissors
Cleaning Scissors
Making a Scissors Pouch
Making a Scissors Pouch
Blue Zipper
Adding a Zipper to a Juice Pouch Purse
Crafts Made With Potholders
Crafts Made With Potholders
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 20, 2017 at 7:39:59 AM on 10.0.0.172 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.