Potholder Kitchen Scissors Holder

I will be making kitchen scissor holders to hang on the wall for Christmas this year. You take a potholder, a regular sized one, and fold it to a cone shape like an ice cream cone. Then you sew a button (all the way through, it can't come unbuttoned or it is not safe) at the intersection of the cone at the top. Then you stitch straight across the bottom so the scissors won't poke out or fall out the bottom of the holder. (about an inch up from the bottom). The loop should be at the top of the cone, for hanging.

I have one and I keep it in a mug and put the kitchen scissors in it. I like to reinforce the loop for hanging on the potholder because scissors might be heavy. I think you could embellish it more, but I like the colorful button and it is so simple.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton TN

Can you submit a photo?

I'd like to see a photo of this if anyone makes one.

It's also good to glue the button for the scissor with a hot glue gun.

December 12, 2011 Flag

Pot holder folded up one third to make a note pad and pen holder.I purchased a set of pot holders from the Dollar Tree. You simply get out the hot glue gun (high temp is best for this one). Fold one up 1/3 the way and glue the sides. Some of my glue oozed out, so I just stuck a purple rose on each end. Put in a post it note pad and small pencil or a couple of pens and you have a nice little note pad holder. You can glue magnets on the back for the fridge like I am going to to.

The next is cute, too. Fold one over at the angle, and glue under the edging. This is perfect for scissors, and I even added straight pins, safety pins, and needles to the front. Again, magnets on the back lets you put them on the fridge or in my case the metal file cabinets that keep my sewing table up.

Pot holder folded into triangle for scissors.

Learning from my mistakes will make your project more fun for gift giving. I will make more of these, but will make them out of two sided holders. The apple doesn't show in each of these and that is a shame. Also, I will make them with the hanger in the middle for the note holder, but with the hanger on the corner for the scissor holders.

This is a 20 minute project at best, so you could be making them all the way to the big day and not miss a beat.

Disclaimer: I said they are .50 each, but that is just for the pot holders. If you add a pen, scissors, and note pad, you are probably looking at 1.50 to 1.75 for each present. That is still pretty "Thrifty and Fun"!

Two pot holders with fruit motif.

Hope you N-JOY this.

Source: I have seen these at craft shows and in books.

By Sandi from Salem, OR

Love your kitchen magnets idea for this, Sandi! You could also fold the lip on the non-angled one down, sew on a huge button for the loop to go over and you'll have a safe and secure refrigerator eyeglass case.

Scissor Holder
Making a Holder for Scissors
Crafts Home Decor KitchenJuly 8, 2009
Clean Scissors
Cleaning Scissors
Making a Scissors Pouch
Making a Scissors Pouch or Holder
Wood Knife Holder
Making a Kitchen Knife Holder
Making a Eyeglass Case from a Potholder
Making an Eyeglass Case from a Potholder