Advice for Hard Dry Cuticles

I have dry, hard cuticles in the summer and in Florida, no less! I've done the topical application of oils, Chapstick, gloves and socks at night and it works temporarily. But I'm thinking what's the cause? Attack it at the cause for a permanent solution. Has anyone out there found more than just a band-aid remedy? I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks!

By MT from Tampa, FL

Answers

I know there are good tips here. However, you might consider whether simple dehydration is contributing to or causing your problem.

Our bodies are 75% or so water. That means we need a lot of water intake to maintain good hydration. You might try keeping a short-term "water journal." Jot down how much water you drink on any given day, or keep track for a week, whatever works for you. If you're drinking less than, say, a quart of water a day, you probably need more. That's only a guess, everyone is different. One surefire signal of dehydration is a headache. Try drinking a glass of water. If it helps, dehydration was what gave you the headache.

Try keeping a glass of water (preferably filtered,) or a reusable bottle full of water on hand all the time. Yes, it'll mean you'll make more trips to the bathroom - but you'll probably start noticing less dryness in your cuticles.

Hope I've been some help...