Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

"Just For Men" Not Working For Me

I have used the product 'Just for Men' hair color. The color hasn't taken and my grey hair remains. I followed the instructions to the letter. Where did I go wrong?

Paul6M

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Mike B. (Guest Post)01/28/2009

Yeah, Paul, same thing with me. JFM just doesn't cover most of the time. I've used hair color to get a highlight effect for more than ten years, well B4 JFM came along. I used to use a woman's product, which worked well, then switched to JFM. But I'm going to try nice and easy like the posters here suggest. BTW, even if gray looks distinguishing, for some reason I haven't accepted it yet! I'm getting near 50. Maybe I need to change my outlook!

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel [9]10/20/2006

Loving Care by Clairol works well. It washes out in 6-8 shampoos so if you don't like the color, it's not hard to get rid of. Because you probably don't have long hair, one bottle can last for several applications. Pick a color a little lighter than your natural hair color. It fades slowly but it will just make your grey look like lighter highlights. It's easy to retouch the roots and there is not a noticeable line like permanent hair color. And it's made to cover gray!

I, too like gray hair on men and women. I figure I worked a long time to get this much gray and people always compliment me on it. Let us know what works for you or if you decided to just leave it as is.

By Shelley [2]10/20/2006

The way permanent hair color works is: the chemical action opens the cuticle of the hair strand, allowing the new color to permeate it. Gray hair, which is simply hair that has lost its pigmentation, tends to be tougher and thicker than pigmented hair. That's why gray hair is so hard to cover! I must say, being a woman, I agree with the many posts from other women who love the look of gray hair on men. However, it's your choice, and I'd recommend you just try a different type of permanent hair color -- the type advertised for women, such as L'Oreal or Garnier. No one will know by looking at your head if you used Just for Men or Nice N Easy.

By Mary [12]10/05/2006

I thought the Just for Men haircolor was a gradual color change that occured over several applications. Seems like that is what they always advertised it anyway. Hey ya'll, if the man doesn't want to go gray, let him be, but I would go to a hairdresser rather than experiment!!

By (Guest Post)09/17/2006

It's already been said by many but I want to add my two cents worth in. Leave it gray! Gray is beautiful and sexy. I can not believe how many men color the sides when they have this beautiful, distingished gray. Look at all the movie stars with gray hair! They're not coloring. Heck, a lot don't even have hair anymore. Be natural Paul!

By Julia (Guest Post)09/17/2006

My DH tried this too but he did not feel that it looked right and stopped using it. His hairdresser said that he thought that colouring your hair works for women, because they adjust their makeup to the new colour, but men's hair just looks dyed. I bet you look really good with grey or white hair.

By SL Edens [1]09/16/2006

Hi Paul!!! Why not just leave it grey? I've always loved grey hair. When I first met my hubby (we're in our 50s and we've been married 6 years), his sister-in-law had colored his hair. While she did a nice job, I said I really "love" grey hair. He hasn't colored his hair since and he has the most beautiful hair!!! So, some of us really do prefer the natural look (I don't color my hair either :) )

By Carol in PA (Guest Post)09/15/2006

imho Haircoloring for men is way behind those products that are on the market for women. For one thing, the men's haircolorings dont come in enough shades. Women have so many shades to choose from that often its difficult to decide which to choose. I suggest using haircoloring for women.... any brand. You'll be surprised at the results.

BTW, I've just let my hair go natural. I'm surprised at how little grey I actually had. It looks like a natural frosting. Most of the time, natural is better! I say, "Be yourself!"

warm regards,

By (Guest Post)09/15/2006

This never worked for my husband either...the hair that was to be colored always ended up looking brassy red...when he was using a shade of Dk. Brown!?!?
Nevertheless, he used it anyway until he retired despite me telling him repeatedly that it looked better left alone. Please try something else, or go to a pro and let them do it once and recomend something to use.

By (Guest Post)09/15/2006

You might try "Just for Men" - mustash and beard type instead of the hair type. I used the med. brown
mustash and beard type (for 5 min.) on my husband's hair - it worked fine.
Had used the hair type - it didn't last well.

By Gepe (Guest Post)09/14/2006

Nice n' Easy hair color is good, but you may need to get the one for color resistance hair. Buy LEVEL # 3, which is more permanant.Dark colors work best on white and grey hair, especailly ones with a tint of red in them.I learned this from the gal who does my hair.Hope this helps you out!! :)
You can also dye your eyebrows, use a Q-tip dap in the dye and lightly put on brows, be careful not to get in your eyes.Leave on for 5 mins, then wipe off.

By Sharon [4]09/12/2006

Can not tell you Paul where you went wrong.
But can tell you if you want a product that will work.
Match color you want with chart and try
Nice & Easy.
Follow Directions....
Good Luck