Lights Not Working

Category Electrical
Tracking down the cause of your overhead lights not working can be a frustrating process. This is a guide about lights not working.

My kitchen lights went out with a loud pop. The circuit breaker looks fine. I reset and checked all the GFI outlets which were fine, but reset those too. Do LED lights pull more wattage than average lights? Do they need a different type of switch? I have both LED and regular bulbs in kitchen. Help.

Answers

If your light popped and made a loud noise this is more than likely your light bulb. When an LED light goes out it can make a loud popping noise. I would replace the LED light in my kitchen.

As for an LED light needing a different circuit or switch the answer is no. They use the same fixtures and switches as the older model light bulb.

The additional lights (non LED) are also not working after the pop.

Good job troubleshooting. To answer you questions:
1. Led lights actually use less wattage, so yes your existing circuits are fine.

2. If you have reset your breaker & the outlets; chances are that you need to replace all the bulbs that don't work. - if you want to check & see if there is possibly a problem in the circuit try the bulbs in another location that is working properly. If they aren't burnt out when tried in another circuit then you probably do have a problem like a short. In that case find an electrician to be safe.

My son put up a ceiling light for me, while he was doing it he got a spark. Now my bathroom and hallway lights don't work. I have turned the breakers on and off, but they still haven't started working.

By June