AdviceClothing

Preventing a Knitted Top from Stretching

I have a knitted top that stretches every time I wear it. I've tried to shrink it in hot water and also the dryer. It shrinks a little but when I wear it again it stretches. Can you give me any tips to stop it from stretching?

Blow fly from Australia

Answers

Make it the size that you want and then sew some non-stretch cloth tape to the inside (bias tape or double faced ribbon at the sewing supplies store).

Double faced ribbon means that you can wash and dry it. Should have that info on the ribbon spool.

Plan on wearing it for short spurts only.

When you dry it, pin it in the size you want to a mesh screen and let it dry flat.

You could baste it to a t shirt, but am thinking it might sag in the front and the back anyway.

Take it to someone who knows how to sew and have them re-cut it in a smaller size so that when it stretches, it doesn't stretch all that much.

Grumble at yourself for buying it in the first place and vow to never again buy something from that cloth or knit.

Wrap it around a pillow and use it for a decorative accent - but don't wear it.

Write a letter to the clothing line that manufactured it (check the tag, then do an internet search) and let them know how you feel. You can do the same for the store headquarters from whence you purchased the item.

Wear it only around the house with a turtleneck and vow not go out in public.