Stretching a Hat That is Too Tight

Category Clothing
If you have a hat that is too tight, it may require stretching to make it fit right. Stretching a hat that is too tight can be easier with certain fabric types.

My bestie and I are quite the beanie snobs. They have to have a nice, loosened fit and sit perfectly on our heads or its a no-go. I've recently found that I can shape any beanie, even the ones that are oddly tight, like swimmers caps, by stretching them with the right objects. Take something that's a bit bigger than your head, like a melon, fit the beanie over it and let it sit there for at least 24 hours.

I found this blue beanie for one dollar. I loved its colour but I hated its tight fit. I used a big ball-shaped stuffed animal I won at a carnival. I wanted a looser fit so I let it hang out on top of it for 3 days. Perfect!

I have quite a big head and most ladies' hats won't fit me, especially when I let my hair grow longer. Sometimes I have to buy in the men's section and even those can be too small. I just bought a cotton cap (it looks like one of these old soldier's caps), but it still gives me a headache after some time and I have marks on my forehead. Any idea how I can make it wider?

Thanks in advance.

By Ute White from Brockville, ON

Answers

Best Answer

Spritz it with alcohol or water and put it on or a a large hat form/fill it with something to stretch it out while it dries.