Recipes Using Apples

I recently bought several bags of small apples (a really good sale or so I thought). They are a little on the tart side, and are quickly bruising. Any advice on simple recipes to get them used up quickly? Also, how can I sweeten them? Thanks!

I was given about 5 bushels of apples. We will make apple sauce and I will do a few crisps, but I need more ideas of what to do with all of these apples. We are storing them in the basement so they will last for a while.

Kelly

Peel them all, cutting out any really bad spots. Cook in a stockpot or big saucepan (look after you've cut them up...you don't want the pan more than 2/3 full. Put very little water in but stir and watch. They should break down and maybe exude a lot of liquid in 15 minutes or so. Add white sugar and a little cinnamon if you want. This is the best applesauce you've had if you've never had homemade before. It can be frozen ( just leave a little headroom) and I've defrosted and used it after 6 months and it's fine. Sunday mortning breakfast has never been better. It's also good with pork as a side dish. Don't worry about the fact that they're softening. I've used apples from my brother's tree that had been around too long and no one even suspected that that they had been off the tree for a while.

You can also make apple cake. If you bake in a 13 x 9 pan, just cut in thirds wrap in foil and freeze in a freezer bag. Muffins can be frozen too. Then you only defrost what you need. I'd also make apple cobbler. YUM!

Pre-prepare some apple pies and freeze them for future baking ;-)

I was having the same problem, Stacey. My sister has two HUGE apples and she doesn't eat apples! I've given them to everyone who comes to the house! I decided to stew them and I froze some. And then I felt like making an apple cake which had stewed apples through it. I found this one on an ABC Australia website. It's so easy!

Rebecca's Easy Cake Recipe

ABC Southern Queensland

Degree of difficulty:

Low

You need:

1 1/2 cups self-raising flour

1 cup sugar

125g butter (softened)

2 eggs (at room temperature)

1/2 cup milk

Method:

In a mixing bowl add all ingredients and mix on low speed for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.

Pre heat oven at 180c and put cake batter into a pre-greased cake tin or bar tin.

Cook cake until a skewer pierced into the cake comes out clean, (approx. 45mins to 1 hour)

For apple cake, add half the cake mix add stewed apples then the remainder of the cake mix. Sprinkle with coconut on top.

It's very nice!

Make applesauce and sweeten to taste. You can even add cinnamon, if you like.

We have a vita mix, and make a smoothie every morning. I use 1-2 apples in it, skin, seeds and all. Just wash and cut out any bad spots. Everyone else has covered most other ways to use the apples already. I'd also make apple jelly, can some apple juice or make cider. You can clean and freeze them for pies later in the year. Wish I had your problem--YUM!

Granny Smith Apples
Recipes Using Apples
Food and Recipes Recipes FruitSeptember 8, 2005
Pile of green apples.
Selecting Good Apples
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
Seive and apple in preparation for making sauce.
Homemade Applesauce Recipes
pork chops with apple compote
Apple Pork Chops Recipes
🎄