Empty Milk Carton for Watering Plants

I really didn't know where to put this tip, it covers so many aspects! Instead of lugging home a bottle/packet of commercial plant fertilizer, try this quick and easy tip. When you finish a carton of milk, fill the carton with water and use it to water your plants. Your plants will flourish, your wallet will flourish and the land fill will have one less carton to worry about as you didn't have to buy a special product to do the job! And there is one more plus, as you finish the milk carton you stand a better chance of remembering to water that poor house plant in the corner!

By Dragonsue from London, UK

Do the plants like the diluted milk or should the old milk be washed out completely first so it's just fresh water?

I have used a gallon milk jug to mix and store insecticides, miticides, and the like for my plants. I just made sure that I labeled it really well and put words like POISON, YUCK, and the skull and cross-bones figures on it so children if they happened across it wouldn't think of drinking it. I kept it up high on a shelf in a locked garage.

Have a great day!

Kelly W. from Kalamazoo

Editor's Note: The tip is suggesting to use the diluted milk on the plants as fertilizer.

I have another question: What kind of plants like to have diluted milk as fertilizer?

I remember reading that dairy farmers use the rinse water for fertilizer after they clean up the milking system, sounds like a good idea. OBTW - it's milky water they were talking about, throwing sour milk on your plants is NOT a benefit to them, far too acid.

Apparently the bacteria that grows in 'off' milk is (forgive the pun) like nectar to plants, so when the milk carton is empty, just fill it with water and pour the manky stuff over plants liberally.

I have used it, with great success on everything from Cacti to spider plants, from herbs to potatoes, and tomatoes literally thrive!

There are only two types of plants I wouldn't use it on, air plants (they get everything they need from the mist you spray on them and the milk could clog their pores) and carnivorous plants like the Pitcher and the Venus Flytrap, they really need meat, not milk.

I don't know if it is the milk, but since I have been using this method of fertilization, I have noticed a marked reduction in pests too, so now I don't even have to worry about buying or using pesticides!

Oh and one little thing for those who might be wondering, for some strange reason, my house plants DO NOT smell 'cheesey'! lol

I don't know about the milky part, but I use an old syrup bottle to water the small plants I have. It reduces the spillage onto leaves I have encountered more than once while watering indoor plants, and it helps the environment, too!

I've used an old plastic milk bottle and a few odds and ends,superglue, tube, old drawer knob to make an indoor watering can - thrifty eh? and definitely some fun lol!

PS I made a little air hole near the top by the handle to stop the water 'glugging out.

Tips for Watering Plants
Watering Plants
Better Living Green Living ReusingJuly 25, 2007
Self Watering Houseplant
Watering Houseplants On Vacation
Milk Bottles
Uses for Glass Milk Bottles
Aquarium in the middle of a water change
Using Aquarium Water For Plants
completed egg carton ship
Making an Egg Carton Ship