Altering Men's Shirt Sleeves From Long to Short

I am altering men's shirt sleeves from long to short. They are definitely tapered. Help please!

I did that when my husband's long sleeve shirts got grease on the bottom of the sleeve. I just took one of his "store bought" short sleeve shirts and laid it flat on top of his long sleeve shirt and cut about 1 and 1/2 inch too long. Then machine stitched the long sleeve shirt. He couldn't even tell that I had done it.

Thanks for the pointer 'Jean in GA'.

I will use it...along with the thought,

When the sleeves are tapered, such as with dress shirts, (the part you are turning up will be narrower than where you will be attaching it) you take in the seam allowance on the line where you will stitch the hem in place.

The only solution for this is to use part of the cut off fabric to widen the new short sleeve. Cut a triangular piece to fit in the seam line, it will widen the sleeve and look like a design element. No one will be the wiser.

Thanks Peggy.

I have certainly appreciated the pointers. I will face the 6 shirts on my 'to do' pile with a bit more confidence ;}

you may have to taper and reshape the hem to fit, usually I measure 10" from the shoulder draw my hem line with chalk, leave a 1 1/2 hem hem allowance to be turned under once for a nice finish. You can then judge if you split the seam if you can make it fit, press the hem allowance up. It usually works just fine.

Men's Shirt
Shortening Men's Shirt Sleeves
Crafts SewingFebruary 28, 2007
White Men's T-shirt
Altering Men's T-shirts for a Woman
Tightening T-shirt Sleeves
A business suit with a white shirt and red tie.
Saving Money on Men's Suits
Nice light blue dress shirt.
Making Shirt Collars Last Longer