Shortening the Sleeves on a Long Sleeve Shirt

My husband's long sleeve shirts are always too long. Is it possible to shorten the sleeves myself?

It is a difficult job. The cuffs have to be removed, the sleeve shortened, and the sleeve eased back in to the cuff.

If you are a good seamstress you can unset the sleeves and reset them. You would have to carefully pick seam open at armhole, measure exact amount of length plus 1/2 in seam allowance. You would need exact thread match to re-stitch. Don't trim excess until you are sure you have it right Hopefully your machine has a drop arm to make it easier. If you pin carefully and baste before final stitches you can check length and adjust you can do it!!

Well - I have done a lot of sewing over the years but I'm not sure that I would want to tackle this project. If you have done alterations in the past, you may be able to follow Pghgirl's instructions and do a good job.

I have always felt that alterations were one of the more difficult projects to take on but many do them with no problems so you may be one of those.

Why not try it on a shirt you can make into short sleeves (or rags) if it does not go well? Then maybe you can learn what you did wrong and correct it on the second one.

My daughter had some clothes that needed alterations and we placed ads in Freecycle, Craigslist, Nextdoor.org asking for help (willing to pay) and met several really nice experienced seamstresses who were very glad to get the work. We still recommend them to other people today. Seems short/small people are always needing alterations on their clothes.

Good luck - hope it works out well.

absolutely, the tricky part is making sure that they match up, you should measure really really well

then if you have any sewing machine the job itself is easy enough