Fabric Coffee Sleeve

Category Sewing
Making a colorful coffee sleeve is a fun sewing project and you then have a decorative protective sleeve to keep you from burning your fingers. This is a guide about fabric coffee sleeve.

Your coffee may perk you up in the morning, but this colorful fabric coffee sleeve is sure to make your day even better. It can be as unique as you are and it is a great way to use up small pieces of fabric.

• 1/4 yard fabric
  • 1/4 yard Warm and Natural cotton batting
  • pins
  • thread
  • sewing needle
  • buttons
  • sewing machine
  • scissors
  • 1/8 inch wide elastic
  • sleeve template

1. Here is how I created my template from the coffee sleeve that I had.

• Trace the unfolded coffee sleeve onto a thick piece of paper.
    • Add a 1/4" seam allowance around the outside.
    • Test fit it on your cup and mark the point of overlap.
    • Add a 1/4" seam allowance at the new line, then trim off the excess.
  2. Use your template to cut out two (2) fabric pieces and one (1) cotton batting piece.
  3. Ad

4. Place one of the fabric pieces right side up on the batting, then place the other fabric piece right side down on top. Pin all the layers together.
  5. Cut 3" pieces of elastic and stitch them into loops. Pin them, loop end inside, in the side seam. Stitch all the way around, leaving a small opening for turning. Clip the curves, being careful not to cut through the seams.
  6. Ad

7. Turn the sleeve right side out and press flat. Use a blind stitch to sew the opening shut.
  8. Top stitch around the entire sleeve. Sew on buttons and test fit the sleeve onto your cup.
  9. Ad

10. For this sleeve I added a decorative heart and used three (3) smaller buttons for the closure. To do this, sew the heart onto one of the fabric pieces prior to sewing them all together. Get creative and have fun!

I love this idea! It's decades too late for me since I retired eons ago but I am thinking of all those mornings at the bus stop in Houston. I was afraid on cold mornings to take my cups out as I had one break when I walked outside into the cold. Fortunately there was nobody standing nearby and I was the only one who got my clothing splashed.