Scenery: Autumn Driving In Virginia

contest winner icon

In October when the trees have turned, my husband and I take a day trip to the mountains to get some mountain apples and see the leaves. It's a 4 hour drive to the mountains from where we live so we pack a picnic lunch and snacks. It's a beautiful country drive all the way so we take our time and enjoy the view.

The closer we get to the mountains, the brighter the leaves get. We take Hwy 58 in southern Virginia and go to the Blue Ridge Parkway. After reaching the parkway we go north to Mabry Mill and Rocky Knob stopping at several lookouts on the way then we come back down the mountain on Hwy 8. We stop near Stuart at a store that sells produce and pick up a couple bushels of apples. Golden Delicious is my favorite.

We thoroughly enjoy our time together on this all day adventure and we also like coming back home and sleeping in our own bed. That night when I shut my eyes to go to sleep, I can still see the red and yellow leaves. I love the beauty of nature and it's free.

By Betty from NC

Autumn Driving In Virginia

WOW, thanks for that awesome fall beauty. We are in the throes of a horrible drought in south Texas, we have many shades of brown. That picture is AWESOME. We are still in the low 90's here and in desperate need of rain. We actually have a 60% chance through Wed and 80% Thursday, I can tell ya we are excited about that.

I envy you the opportunity to see such beauty! I live in south Georgia and all we get is green or brown. Thanks for sharing this beauty with us and God bless you.

Oh, I absolutely love your autumn scene. Your picture is calling to me and telling me to leave right now and drive down!

Wow. Beautiful pic. Is that Mabry's Mill? We used to go there like every year when I was a kid; it brings back lots of memories.

Photos SceneryOctober 13, 2008
Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
Virginia Christmas Charities
Driving on Snowy Roads, Cars driving on a snowy road.
Driving on Snowy Roads
Autumn Leaves Jar Candle Holder
Making an Autumn Leaves Jar Candle Holder
West Virginia Christmas Charities
🎄
🍂