Browsing: Activities for an Assisted Living Facility

Activities for an Assisted Living Home

I am the coordinator of social activities for an elderly care home. Any ideas for an easy, simple recipes, or food decorations for the residents to do?

By Malky from London

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Icing sugar cookies.

Fold some paper into cards for the residents and provide glue and other craft materials for them to decorate. It's a great project for them to give to their families for the holidays. You can also make paper ornaments.

Try making some homemade chocolates which are fairly easy. You need semi sweet chocolate chips (or whichever you prefer) a can of nuts. ( I've used cashews) and some milk. Melt the chocolate chips on a double boiler. Stir in a bit of milk to thin the chocolate out a bit. Toss in the nuts and pour the mixture onto waxed paper. Set it in the fridge for a few hours and package. It makes a good item to sell at a bake sale.

My former mother-in-law is in an actual nursing home, in a wheel chair because she lost one leg, due to poor circulation. She helps bake the cakes, is in a handbell choir, they work on jigsaw puzzles, and I can't remember what else all she has mentioned doing, but they are always busy. This is in a small town of about 1,000 people.

My 91 yr old mother-in-law recently moved in with us and I too am looking for activities.

Believe it or not her very favourite thing to do is make cabbage rolls. She must have missed doing this and really enjoys getting her hands in there! I have noticed how much better she has become at doing this too; the arthritis that was crippling her is getting less disabling as she exercised her fingers.

Search on the web for Marshmallow Fondant; its like plasticine that you can eat. Let them make decorations to top a cake with, thats always fun!

There is always bingo. I worked in nursing home a total of 14 years. A few years ago I was a patient there twice in one year. One my favorite things was making individual pizzas. We flattened biscuits by just pressing on them and stretching them out. The activity person put on a little pizza sauce. We could choose our toppings such as mini pepperoni slices, onion, green peppers, etc. The kitchen baked them and we had a nice afternoon snack.

There was this game I played at school and I was thinking it would be fun for residents to do. You get a beach ball and you cover the entire ball with questions, about an inch apart from each other.

For the game, you toss the ball to a resident when they catch it whatever question their pointer finger on their right hand lands on that's the question that they have to answer. I think this games help promotes memory, because the questions are things they would have to think about, things from their pasts like what there favorite candy was growing up, or what they like to do on the weekends when they were younger. It also helps with physical because they have to catch the ball so they are up and being active.

Another thing is it helps residents get to know each other and socialize. I am going to be introducing this game to the assisted living facility that I currently work at.

Senior man weaving a basket
Activities for an Assisted Living Facility
Entertainment AdviceDecember 21, 2010
Photo of a toilet.
Making "Fresh Brush" Toilet Bowl Cleaner
woman handing an older man a gift
Inexpensive Christmas Gifts for Assisted Living Residents
sewing and yarn supplies
Donating Craft Supplies
Nursing Home
Finding Nursing Home Donations
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 6:07:23 AM on 10.0.1.174 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.