Sherry Substitute

By bunny 1

I am making creamy shrimp and fettuccine and need a substitute for dry sherry.

By bunny from AR

Filter Sort

thr858431 Flag

Apple juice should work.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

Cooking sherry but delete the salt from the recipe because cooking sherry is preserved with salt (unless, of course, you like more salt). You can find cooking sherry's and cooking wines in your markets vinegar isle.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Coreen Hart 78 376 Flag

I usually use chicken broth if I don't have the right wine on hand.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Sherry Substitute

I have a recipe that calls for sherry, what can I use as a substitute?

Thanks,
timjamie from AZ

Feedback:

RE: Sherry Substitute

Madeira wine. (11/22/2005)

RE: Sherry Substitute

I remember reading somewhere that you can substitute apple juice for white wine and grape juice for red wine in recipes. (11/23/2005)

By Cindy S.

RE: Sherry Substitute

Usually wine. (06/06/2006)

By Katmommy

Archive: Sherry Substitute

I am making a pork loin and it calls for sherry along with other ingredients for the marinade. I have no sherry, what can I use instead?

By Beth from KY

Feedback:

RE: Sherry Substitute

If you don't want to use alcohol you could use chicken or vegetable stock readily available in the supermarket. (08/10/2010)

By its_me7811

RE: Sherry Substitute

Any sweet wine or fruit juice. (08/11/2010)

By Kentishmaid

RE: Sherry Substitute

When I need a substitute I go to foodsubs.com. They have never failed me. (08/12/2010)

By Yorkiemom2

RE: Sherry Substitute

Sorry to a couple of the posters here, but chicken stock, vegetable stock, and regular fruit juice will not work as a substitute for sherry in a marinade because marinades for most meat recipes need the 'vinegar' base (fermented) that the sherry contains. Since the recipe says specifically to use sherry there's also a reason to not use simple fruit juice because of the flavor and tenderness the recipe wants to acquire.

As a sherry substitute you can use just about any type of wine or you can use red wine vinegar with 1 teaspoon of sugar or you can use white wine vinegar. You can also use cooking wines or cooking sherry's, but because cooking wine and sherry use salt as it's preservative you'll want to reduce or ditch the salt in the recipe for health sake. (08/12/2010)

By Deeli

RE: Sherry Substitute

Sherry is a fortified wine. Use dry to sweet-take your pick. Non alcohol, 2 Tbsp. sherry sub for 1 to 2 tsp. vanilla extract or use 2 Tbsp. of orange or pineapple juice. Your marinade will depend on the choice.

(08/12/2010)

By 3dogs4me

RE: Sherry Substitute

What I do, is use apple jelly and mix it with a little apple cider vinegar to make it more liquid. I have also used cranberries, mixed with some white vinegar and brown sugar. You need the vinegar to tenderize the meat so the flavour of the marinade can soak in. And taste your marinade before you use it, it has to taste good or it will ruin your meat! (08/12/2010)

By catastrofy

RE: Sherry Substitute

Orange or pineapple juice are what I use in place of sherry. (08/13/2010)

By sooz

A woman pouring wine into a pan.
Substitutions for Wine in Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsNovember 19, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
buttermilk substitute in a bowl
Substitute for Buttermilk in Recipes
Cooking With Sherry
Cooking With Sherry
A woman pouring wine into a pan.
Substitutions for Wine in Recipes
Woman Looking For Substitute Foods in the Fridge
Substituting Foods in Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 2:50:58 PM on 10.0.1.117 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings