Controlling Algae in Fish Tanks

I have a 10 gallon fish tank and it is growing algae. What can I do to keep this from happening? I have 3 catfish, 2 danios, and 5 other fish. Please help. Thank you.

By Penny from Whitehall, MI

There is a product that helps control algae called something like 'algae be gone' you can get at fish/pet stores. There is also a special rough sponge set that is magnetized. The sponge side goes on the glass inside of the tank and the magnetized side on the glass outside of the tank and you just move the magnet and sponge around to clean the algae off of the glass. I would highly recommend using both products (years ago I had four fish tank of assorted sizes). Also, be sure to keep charcoal changed regularly in your tank filter and, if possible, don't have your tank in front of a window area where direct sunlight come in. You also need to completely drain and clean the tank every so often. Talk to your pet/fish store how to do this properly.

We have a bit larger tank. We found cleaning the tank, then adding more oxygen really helped. Just bought those oxygen tubes and placed them along the back of the tank.

Pets FishAugust 22, 2010
small boat on a lake with green algae on top and sides
Removing Algae from a Boat
Safe Toilet Paper for Septic Tanks
Toilet Paper Advice for Septic Tanks
Controlling Algae in a Pond
Controlling Algae in a Pond
Small fish tank with fish and plants inside.
Preventing Algae In Your Aquarium