Keeping Lettuce from "Rusting"

By Pamela M. 6

How do you keep lettuce from "rusting" in the frig and for how long?

Thanks.

By Pamela M

Showing: Answers Sort

By Beth 5 105 Flag

The rust is caused by an interaction between the knife and the lettuce. I use a plastic knife I found at Macy's but you can find them in lots of kitchen stores. It doesn't prevent the rust but delays it for several days.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

What works for me is to place the cut lettuce in a storage container that is lined with a paper towel and then place a paper towel on top before putting the lid on. Doing this soaks up the excess moisture that makes the lettuce go bad more quickly. It takes about a week before the edges begin to turn brown and stays crisp for that long too.

Here's some scientific info about cutting vs tearing - Seems it really doesn't make a difference how you do it:

http://oss.mcgill.ca/yasked/brownlettuce.pdf

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Linda from Bloomington, IL 76 172 Flag

This is a tip I got from a recipe newsletter, maybe this one. I live alone so I take a bag of my cut up lettuce (I use Romaine), And divide it so I have 2 ounces each in quart freezer bags. Then wrap a saltine in paper towel and put in with the lettuce. I have used lettuce that was 2 weeks old and it was fine.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Photo of different types of lettuce.
Keeping Lettuce Fresh
Food and Recipes StorageJuly 12, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
steel wool
Preventing Brillo or SOS Pads from Rusting
Photo of different types of lettuce.
Keeping Lettuce Fresh
Head of green leaf lettuce.
Washing Lettuce
Lettuce growing in a box.
Growing Lettuce
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 1:04:34 PM on 10.0.2.138 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings