Browsing: Keeping Lettuce Fresh

Keeping Lettuce from "Rusting"

How do you keep lettuce from "rusting" in the frig and for how long?

Thanks.

By Pamela M

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

The rust is caused by an interaction between the knife and the lettuce. I use a plastic knife I found at Macy's but you can find them in lots of kitchen stores. It doesn't prevent the rust but delays it for several days.

What works for me is to place the cut lettuce in a storage container that is lined with a paper towel and then place a paper towel on top before putting the lid on. Doing this soaks up the excess moisture that makes the lettuce go bad more quickly. It takes about a week before the edges begin to turn brown and stays crisp for that long too.

Here's some scientific info about cutting vs tearing - Seems it really doesn't make a difference how you do it:

http://oss.mcgill.ca/yasked/brownlettuce.pdf

This is a tip I got from a recipe newsletter, maybe this one. I live alone so I take a bag of my cut up lettuce (I use Romaine), And divide it so I have 2 ounces each in quart freezer bags. Then wrap a saltine in paper towel and put in with the lettuce. I have used lettuce that was 2 weeks old and it was fine.

Photo of different types of lettuce.
Keeping Lettuce Fresh
Food and Recipes StorageJuly 12, 2011
Iceberg Lettuce
Growing Iceberg Lettuce
steel wool
Preventing Brillo or SOS Pads from Rusting
Head of green leaf lettuce.
Washing Lettuce
Lettuce growing in a box.
Growing Lettuce
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 2:57:08 AM on 10.0.0.143 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.