CatsPets

Tree Sap on a Cat

Category Cats

My cat just got stuck in a tree and my husband had to go up the tree to get him. Now my cat has tree sap all over him. What is the best thing to use to get it out? Thanks to anyone who can help!

Myrna

I've had cats all my life and that's a new one. I have sap all over my car though, and I know it really sticks. I would be afraid of putting anything chemical on a cat. The one thing I do know is that the hair is always growing and shedding so sooner or later the sap will be shed off. Sorry that's the best I can think of if cat shampoo doesn't help. Which I don't think it will. Maybe brushing or rubbing with towel to help the shedding. Or maybe cutting it off with dog clippers.

My first thought was that you may have to take him to a groomer, but you might want to check with your vet for other ideas. Good luck.

Try peanut butter or oil. Fish oil capsules opened up? Rub into the sap, and it should help loosen. Also cat will groom it away with the oily substance on the fur. Just make sure you cover your cat's fave sleeping places to prevent oily stains. I live with lots of white pines, and my kitties always seem to come in with some sap. I do this for the big spots and just pick at the little ones.

i just used peanut butter on my cat and it worked fine

Fish Oil worked perfectly!! :)

This happens to our cat once in a while. I tried oil the first time and the sap oil combo resulted in a serious bout of diarrhea. Wasn't completely back to normal for about 4-5 days. I cut as much as I can now. The biggest problem is the stuff that gets in between the toes because you can't do much.

I know this is a very old thread, but this just happened to our 2-year-old cat last night. He came inside smelling like a pine tree and sticky all over. We waited until a.m. and called our vet, who suggested Avon Skin So Soft. But we didn't have any. I also wrote to a cousin who is a vet and he suggested putting a little flour on the sticky fur to take away the stickiness. I did this and then I brushed the cat. It really worked and the cat seemed very grateful! He had also self-groomed about half the mess off of himself overnight and seems not to have suffered for it. I'd say flour is probably the cheapest, least messy solution you could have to this problem.

My incredibly mischievous 6 month old kitty is completely fascinated with the Christmas tree. Came home from work yesterday to find that he managed to not only get sap on his back and paws but also got it on his left whiskers, that then got stuck up on his forehead!

Poor thing almost pulled all of his whiskers out trying to clean himself! I rubbed all the sappy spots with Vaseline and then wiped it off with tissues - that did the trick! Of course, he's right back under the tree - good thing they have 9 lives!

Anonymous

this five-year old reply did the trick! I just removed the Christmas tree sap from our cranky old cat's whiskers; worked like a charm. thank you!