Improving Instant Hot Cocoa

Make great hot cocoa that just as good or better then Starbucks (a lot cheaper too). Take one envelope of any kind of cocoa mix, pour in your favorite mug. Then add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of flavored creamer (I like French vanilla), and then pour the rest of the way with hot water!

By Amandaw from Bethesda, OH

This is how I make cocoa for my kids. I put a kettle on for hot water then I take scoops of the powdered mix and place in each mug. I fill the mug about halfway full with milk right from the fridge. While I am waiting for the water to boil, I take a little whisk or fork and mix together the powder and milk, breaking up any dry parts. When I fill it up with the boiling water, any leftover gritty powder dissolves and the temperature is just right for kids.

I'll often "seal the deal" by adding a marshmallow on top and a drizzle of chocolate syrup or even whipped cream, if it is a special occasion. For the grown-ups, I will do the same thing but add hot coffee instead of water to make a mocha, and maybe a bit of liqueur around the holidays.

It's very easy and cheap and perfect for a cold snowy January.

I also use french vanilla creamer in my hot cocoa but I only use 2 Tbsp. and then I add a slightly rounded tsp. of instant coffee. Delicious! For a light hot cocktail, add a splash of Chambord to your hot cocoa.

I like the science experiment of making hot cocoa. 1 TBSP cocoa, 2 TBSP sugar. dash of cinnamon, hot milk, drop of vanilla. Scratch cooking is a wonderful thing. Each child has her own personal mug. They have an appreciation for the taste of real cocoa and real spices and real sugar. And it's actually cheaper to make it from scratch. Serve with homemade sugar cookies. Yum.

Aha! I see, Amandaw, that you're one of those who like their cocoa rich and creamy. I'm one of those who like it dark. When *I* have to settle for instant cocoa, I improve it by stirring about half a teaspoon of pure cocoa into the mix!

I haven't used instant cocoa for years, though. To me, it's worth the trouble to make it from scratch, like so:

Stir together thoroughly 1 heaping teaspoon each of cocoa and regular (granulated) sugar (I also add a heaping teaspoon of Benefiber - great way to get a little extra fiber).

Stir in a little milk, just enough for a medium paste (works best with hot milk, or heat it in the microwave for ten seconds and stir well - this ensures that everything dissolves and there will be no residue left in the bottom of the mug).

Fill mug with milk and stir well; if using cold milk, microwave about a minute.

My Mom used to make this for us, as a special treat on cold winter mornings; I've updated it by heating it in the microwave instead of using milk heated on the stove (and usually a bit scorched!) I'm going to have to try the suggestion of powdered milk, though, from the "Homemade Instant Cocoa Mix" tip, that might be even better.

Hot Chocolate With Cookies
Hot Chocolate (Cocoa) Tips And Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips BeveragesJanuary 20, 2010
Jar of instant oatmeal.
Homemade Instant Oatmeal Recipes
powdered cocoa
Storing Cocoa
Hot Cross Buns on Wood Board
Hot Cross Buns Recipes
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub