Emergency Numbers

Keep an easy-to-reach list of emergency phone numbers by the phone and teach your child how and when to use them. If the child is too young to read but can pick out numbers, place pictures of a police officer, fire truck, etc., with the appropriate telephone numbers in larger writing next to each picture.

By Tracey

Keep emergency numbers, etc. near the phone. If you have speed dial make sure whoever needs it know what number to push. Minutes and seconds are precious during theses times.

By Sandi G from WPB FL

The suggestion to post pictures next to emergency numbers is an excellent one. I would think it makes sense even for somewhat older kids that are reading, but may panic during an emergency. I am fortunate that in my area, all emergency calls are dialed 911.

Don't forget to have your address and easy directions to your house listed next to your phone. I taught my kids when they were young to memorize their address (we are military so we have moved alot). As they got older, we would "pop-quiz" them to see if they knew their address.

Prepare your home for an emergency.
Preparing Your Home for an Emergency
Parenting General Parenting Getting OrganizedNovember 23, 2005
Emergency Reflector
Make Your Own Emergency Reflectors
A yellow phone book with a phone sitting on it.
Finding Phone Numbers
Locating Sewing Machine Model and Serial Numbers
Organizing Phone Numbers