Laundry RecipesCleaning Supply Recipes

Homemade Green Laundry Detergent

Ingredients

• 13 cups hot tap water
  • 4 Tbsp. Arm and Hammer washing soda(not baking soda)
  • 2 Tbsp Borax
  • 1 oz. castile soap
  • a few drops essential oil (optional)

Directions

Pour hot water in a empty milk bottle or a detergent bottle. Then add all ingredients and shake to mix. 1/2 cup for small load, 1 cup for large load.

Source: I saw this in a FarmShow magazine. It was made by a Sister of St. Francis at their convent in Little Falls, MN. It should cost about 5 cents per load.

By Jan from Springfield, MN

Having trouble finding castile soap and washing soda. Where can I find it.

Is the castile soap a liquid?

Hi,I found washing soda in the laundry soap section and the castile soap in the bar soap section of the grocery store.If you can't find the castile soap there are a few brands that will do the same thing.

I find castile soap in the Health Foods section of my grocery store (it's like a health food store within the market). Dr. Bronner's is the brand and it comes in different scents. The almond is wonderful but the peppermint is great, especially if you spend a lot of time outdoors in buggy areas or camping. You can wash yourself with it, your hair, your dishes when you are camping. It is biodegrable and very "green."

This is the first time I have seen the castile soap added to the recipe. Can you tell me the benefit of adding it? Thanks

HI Jeanne I'm not sure about the castile soap because I make it using Fels Naptha Laundry Bar Soap, but otherwise everything else is the same. I get all the ingrenents from Kroger. If you dont have a Kroger in your area try your local grocery store.

I made the homemade laundry soap & have been using it for about a month now. It's awesome! The Washing Soda is made by Arm & Hammer & can be found in the laundry aisle. I found mine at a Fry's grocery store (Kroger in other areas). The Borax (20 mule Team) is a laundry booster. The Fels Naptha or Castile soaps are a bar that can be found in health food stores or the laundry aisle of most discount or grocery stores. Castile can be liquid or bar. Good luck to all who try it!