Peg Bracken's Sesame Cookies

I found this site while serching for Peg Bracken. I remember she had a recipe for Those Good Sesame Cookies. I can't find it in any of my remaing copies of her books. Drat that urge to clear out the old stuff. I remember they were easy enough and very good to eat. A simple white dough rolled in balls and in sesame seeds. If you have a copy in you books could you let me know?

Momma Lynne from West Chester PA

Here is a recipe for sesame cookies that appears in a cookbook that I have that was published by a vanity press in 1944. I have never made these cookies. The book is called "Epicures Delight" and was written by Vera Harnett of San Francisco, California. Her instructions seem a little vague.

Sesame Seed Cake -- Chinese

4 cups flour

1-1/4 cups sugar

1 cup butter

1 egg

1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

sesame seed

Mix and knead thoroughly. Take off in small pieces the size of an almond, roll into smooth round balls and then in the sesame seeds until well covered. Bake in a moderate oven, about 1 inch apart, until a golden brown. You may flatten them if you wish.

I made these for Christmas. They have been a family favorite for years.

Sesame Seed Cookies Peg Bracken

Sift 2 cups of flour with 1/2 tsp soda and 1/2 tsp salt.

Now cream 2 sticks of butter or margerine (or 1 of each) with one Cup of sugar. Beat in one egg and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla.

Stir this into the flour mixture until well blended.

Roll into balls the size of big black cherries. Shake in a bag containing raw sesame seeds.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, until golden

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts CookiesDecember 21, 2005
little boy dressed as Super Grover
Making a Super Grover Costume
Sesame salad dressing on a tuna salad.
Sesame Salad Dressing Recipes
Keeping Homemade Cookies Fresh
Keeping Homemade Cookies Fresh
Making Peg (Clothes Pin) Puppets
Making Peg (Clothes Pin) Puppets