Grape Vines Not Producing

By debbie johnson 3 1

Why doesn't my grape vine get grapes?

By Debbie from Neenah, WI

Comment

Archive: Grape Vines Not Producing

I have 10 grape vines that have overgrown and are not producing. Can I cut them right back to the ground so that I can start over and put in new supports and tend to them better or will I lose the plants by cutting too drastically?

Roberta from China, ME

Feedback:

RE: Grape Vines Not Producing

I have grape vines in my back yard and they do produce white grapes in the fall. I am in Nova Scotia, Canada so our weather is cold. One tip I would try is putting all your egg shells crushed at the root in the soil. They seem to love the shells. I don't know about cutting back. Try the egg shells and hope it helps. (01/20/2007)

By Sharon L

RE: Grape Vines Not Producing

You can't cut them back to the ground. It will kill the plants. We have a vineyard in California and my husband has started pruning them. If you prune too early you can get diseases. I would look on the internet for a site that would tell you how to prune them. It is hard to explain in this letter. They also have to be pollinated by bees to have grapes. (01/20/2007)

By raeannn

RE: Grape Vines Not Producing

I would trim them back in the fall, waist high, then put new support near them, wire fence, or lattice. Also, put some composted manure around them and water when dry. You can find info online, "how to grow grapes". Good luck. (07/27/2009)

By kffrmw88

Home and Garden Gardening GrowingJuly 16, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Grape juice that is splashing out of the cup.
Removing Grape Juice Stains from a Tablecloth
supporting cucumbers
Supporting Cucumber Vines
A slice of toast with grape jelly on it.
Grape Jam Recipes
Wine grapes growing.
Propagating Grape Vines from Cuttings
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 7:17:19 PM on 10.0.1.46 in 617 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings