Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Grape Vines Not Producing

Why doesn't my grape vine get grapes?

By Debbie from Neenah, WI

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Grape Vines Not Producing

I have 10 grape vines that have overgrown and are not producing. Can I cut them right back to the ground so that I can start over and put in new supports and tend to them better or will I lose the plants by cutting too drastically?

Roberta from China, ME

RE: Grape Vines Not Producing

I have grape vines in my back yard and they do produce white grapes in the fall. I am in Nova Scotia, Canada so our weather is cold. One tip I would try is putting all your egg shells crushed at the root in the soil. They seem to love the shells. I don't know about cutting back. Try the egg shells and hope it helps. (01/20/2007)

By Sharon L

RE: Grape Vines Not Producing

You can't cut them back to the ground. It will kill the plants. We have a vineyard in California and my husband has started pruning them. If you prune too early you can get diseases. I would look on the internet for a site that would tell you how to prune them. It is hard to explain in this letter. They also have to be pollinated by bees to have grapes. (01/20/2007)

By raeannn

RE: Grape Vines Not Producing

I would trim them back in the fall, waist high, then put new support near them, wire fence, or lattice. Also, put some composted manure around them and water when dry. You can find info online, "how to grow grapes". Good luck. (07/27/2009)

By kffrmw88