Wisteria Vines Won't Flower

This is a guide about wisteria vines not flowering. Wisteria are known for their fragrant, clumps of flowers. If your vines are not producing flowers, here are some tips to increase their blooms.

My Wisteria won't bloom.

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Donna from Brockton, MA

Answers

Best Answer

Speaking from experience....
We had wisteria for several years that never bloomed, it grew like crazy but never bloomed. We were told to put a certain fertilizer on it. It was 18-46-0 and potash. I do not remember the portions and when we did it but it did work. I am sure a greenhouse could tell you more.

Best Answer

I've been told, that wisteria loves abuse. It's the vines with a purple hue that are the ones the will make the flowers. In the later part of summer, just strip the leaves off. The green part of the vine, are never going to bloom, so I just cut them off. It must work, as this is what mine looked like in early May '13.

I planted a wisteria vine last spring and it still hasn't bloomed.

By BARBARA

Answers

Best Answer

I think they're slow to mature. I believe it may be several more years before ti will bloom, depending on how old the vine was when you planted it.

Worth the wait, though!

We have had huge, healthy wisteria vines for nearly 10 years but have never seen a flower on any of them. What can we do to get them to flower?

Hardiness Zone: 7b

Nancy from Hyannis, MA

Answers:

Wisteria Vines Don't Flower

Do a root trim. Use a sharp shovel and cut straight down making a circle around the base. Use the branches as a guide to how big to make the circle. It should be the same distance around as the branches are long. An elderly woman in LA told me this and it worked very well for me. (04/24/2008)

By Patti

Wisteria Vines Don't Flower

Hi, Nancy. Years ago in Dodge, TX (yep, a real Texas town) my friend did the major root trimming on her wisteria. Wow, what a difference. For years after that, this incredible plant flowered like it was making up for lost time.

Peace and Blessings,
Joan - Dilley TX (05/02/2008)

By Joan Greer