Starting a Wisteria from a Cutting

Category Cuttings
Wisteria can actually be propagated from both soft and hard wood cuttings, depending on the time of year one works better than the other. This is a guide about starting a wisteria from a cutting.

I have access to a plant that is at least 40' long and it climbed up and on top of a mobile home. How do I take cuttings and start rooting? I have the OK to do what it takes. Do I try and dig till I get roots or any ideas including when? I am in 8b to tell you my seasons. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

By Glen

Answers

Best Answer

You just said you can take cuttings from a vine that is eating a house. Are you sure you want to? When it starts to send out new shoots in spring, break off a few and stick in a glass of water and put in window. Keep water level up, and it will grow roots. Plant in a container for about a year until bigger, and then if you still want to put it outside, put in ground. Wisteria is considered invasive to some degree.

Can I start a wisteria tree from cuttings or do I have to air layer them?

By Debra An

Do I have to have roots on the cutting to start another wisteria plant?

By MaryAnn Seitz from Interlachen, FL

Does anyone have any experience with planting a limb (or stem) of a wisteria that was trimmed off of a vine? It has no root system. I am experimenting, and so far after 4 days using Miracle-Gro soil, the three twigs are still living.

Joan

Answers:

Planting a Wisteria Cutting

I haven't had any luck with cuttings, but I have started a lot of wisterias with the seeds from the pods, they pop open. I stick them in the dirt where I want them to grow, put a mason jar over the planted seeds, and forget about it; they will grow. Leave the jar on it until it gets a good growth. I have the wisterias all over my area. (07/02/2005)

By Tina

Planting a Wisteria Cutting

I started a wisteria by dropping several seeds in a small hole where I wanted the vine to grow. It grew out of the ground several weeks later. (03/26/2007)

My daughter has a wisteria bush and she wants to start one for me. How would she do that? She cut off a piece and put in water with no results.

By Peg

Answers:

Starting a Wisteria from a Cutting

Cut a limb off and put it in dirt. It's very easy to take root, keep damp. Good luck. (05/26/2010)

By kathleen williams

Starting a Wisteria from a Cutting

I just rooted one in rooting medium 3 weeks ago, it's a gel like substance and I got it from the local nursery. So far so good. Took a clipping of new growth about 5 inches long and stuck the end in the gel.

There's also another way which is how I got my original wisteria. My grandma had one out back and if you look along the ground near to the stem there are usually little runners you can dig up and plant. I planted 3 runners and only one took. (BTW, I keep mine in pots)

**taken from http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12956 (05/26/2010)

By susan

Starting a Wisteria from a Cutting

I have only tried striking a oleander using the water method. I found the trick was to keep it in a dark bottle and change the water regularly otherwise it goes all yucky. (05/26/2010)

By Sharyl