Growing a Wisteria Vine from Cuttings

I have access to a plant that is at least 40' long and it climbed up and on top of a mobile home. How do I take cuttings and start rooting? I have the OK to do what it takes. Do I try and dig till I get roots or any ideas including when? I am in 8b to tell you my seasons. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

By Glen

Best Answer

You just said you can take cuttings from a vine that is eating a house. Are you sure you want to? When it starts to send out new shoots in spring, break off a few and stick in a glass of water and put in window. Keep water level up, and it will grow roots. Plant in a container for about a year until bigger, and then if you still want to put it outside, put in ground. Wisteria is considered invasive to some degree.

Hello ! I have tried many times to propagate a Wisteria from cuttings, from sofwood cuttings or hardwood cuttings and I never succeeded so I think you could try more than one method of propagation to have more chances of success.The other methods are very well explained on the Royal Horticultural Society's internet site. They always have good advices www.rhs.org.uk/.../profile?PID=173

Good luck!