AdviceGardening

Wisteria Vines Don't Flower

My Wisteria won't bloom.

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By sundrops61 from Brockton, MA

We have a large wisteria & one year it didn't bloom & leaf out like it should (we thought it was dead). We found out that our (stupid) next door neighbor had poured bleach in that area on his side of the fence to kill weeds & it got into our wisteria's root system. Thankfully the wisteria came back the next year. Some years it blooms earlier than others by almost a whole month (depending on the weather). Each year that it blooms then leafs out we breath a sigh of relief (because of our non environmentally friendly neighbor) (who knows WHAT he'll do!). Do you have a neighbor like this who might pour something toxic on or near your wisteria's roots? Or even a dog who pees in the area often.

Be grateful and pull it up while you still can! lol I have this stuff all over my yard and can't stop the spreading of it. The root system is like ropes and it takes over everything. My neighbors started it about 70-80 yrs ago and nothing stops it, I DO mean nothing!

Speaking from experience....
We had wisteria for several years that never bloomed, it grew like crazy but never bloomed. We were told to put a certain fertilizer on it. It was 18-46-0 and potash. I do not remember the portions and when we did it but it did work. I am sure a greenhouse could tell you more.

Actually, I'm in zone5 and I have a wisteria that I planted 4 years ago and this is the first year it bloomed. I was told before I planted it that it could take about 5 years before it had it's first blooms, even though the greenery was taking over the trellis like crazy!

I've been told, that wisteria loves abuse. It's the vines with a purple hue that are the ones the will make the flowers. In the later part of summer, just strip the leaves off. The green part of the vine, are never going to bloom, so I just cut them off. It must work, as this is what mine looked like in early May '13.