Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Homemade Hat Pins

I wear hats a lot in the summer and was wondering how to make simple hat pins to hold the hats in place. If that is not possible, does anyone know where I can get hat pins at a reasonable price. Or if not hat pans, then what does one use?

Thanks so much,
Anjeena from New York

By OrahLee [2]04/02/2010

I think that it would be easier to find sock knitting needles instead of wire to make the hat pins. They already are pointed, and you can slip many of the larger beads on the end to cover the second point. I use a heavier weight as a hair-stick sometimes, as I found bronze color that goes with my hair.
By the way-antique hat pins, or hair sticks can snap because of the age of the metal or something. For heavy use, "stick" with new metals.
OrahLee

By Ann Winberg [282]03/30/2010

I am a home jewelry and make pins among the rest of the usual items, I use hard wire, sharpen one end and glue whatever beads I want on the other end. You may not want to buy the wire in rolls as large as suppliers have, but go to your local hardware store and check them out. Steel wire is very stiff and comes in different sizes on a small roll. Just cut one end at an angle, sharpen it with a grinder or stone, smooth with a file, glue on your beads or buttons or whatever and you have your own custom hatpins!

Loved the salt/pepper shaker holder, how clever and a great use of some really pretty pieces. My grandmother collected s/p shaker sets had over 4,000. What fun it was to see all of the variety.

By John (Guest Post)03/31/2008

Hi,
I make hat/stick pins. Very long and beautiful ones.

See my website. http://www.umbrelladoctor.com/PinsandPendants.html
john

By (Guest Post)07/20/2006

To Everyone:
Thank you so much for your responses. I will try your suggestions.

Anjeena

By Gramie3 (Guest Post)07/19/2006

At sewing stores you can find long straight pins. Some of them have beads on them and I think they are called quilters pins. Anyway I have made hat pins using them by threading different color beads though them and adding a drop of craft glue, kind that will stick to metal.. Also used solid pin backs on the sharp end, don't remember what these are called.

By Holly [350]07/18/2006

Look on ebay for hat pins.

By kddid (Guest Post)07/18/2006

I bought some hat pins on ebay.. these was not old, but new hand made... I made some and they are so much fun. To display the hat pins, I found the holders was very expensive.. I bought old china, hand painted salt and peper shakers at thrift stores. they look very old. And some are old. Just by one if it don't have a mate. Even better, cause it will be cheaper... Go to a bead store and they have the beads and the gold sticks to put them on, with covers on the bottom so they don't stick you. Hope this helps... kddid

RE: Homemade Hat Pins

By samaree [3]07/15/2006

I see hat pins at local antique stores, flea markets and craft shows. They are usually $1-3 each. Or seach on ebay or shopgoodwill.com.....