Homemade Hat Pins

I wear hats a lot in the summer and was wondering how to make simple hat pins to hold the hats in place. If that is not possible, does anyone know where I can get hat pins at a reasonable price. Or if not hat pans, then what does one use?

Thanks so much,
Anjeena from New York

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I see hat pins at local antique stores, flea markets and craft shows. They are usually $1-3 each. Or seach on ebay or shopgoodwill.com.....

I bought some hat pins on ebay.. these was not old, but new hand made... I made some and they are so much fun. To display the hat pins, I found the holders was very expensive.. I bought old china, hand painted salt and peper shakers at thrift stores. they look very old. And some are old. Just by one if it don't have a mate. Even better, cause it will be cheaper... Go to a bead store and they have the beads and the gold sticks to put them on, with covers on the bottom so they don't stick you. Hope this helps... kddid

Look on ebay for hat pins.

At sewing stores you can find long straight pins. Some of them have beads on them and I think they are called quilters pins. Anyway I have made hat pins using them by threading different color beads though them and adding a drop of craft glue, kind that will stick to metal.. Also used solid pin backs on the sharp end, don't remember what these are called.

To Everyone:

Thank you so much for your responses. I will try your suggestions.

Anjeena

Hi,

I make hat/stick pins. Very long and beautiful ones.

See my website. http://www.umbrelladoctor.com/PinsandPendants.html

john

I am a home jewelry and make pins among the rest of the usual items, I use hard wire, sharpen one end and glue whatever beads I want on the other end. You may not want to buy the wire in rolls as large as suppliers have, but go to your local hardware store and check them out. Steel wire is very stiff and comes in different sizes on a small roll. Just cut one end at an angle, sharpen it with a grinder or stone, smooth with a file, glue on your beads or buttons or whatever and you have your own custom hatpins!

Loved the salt/pepper shaker holder, how clever and a great use of some really pretty pieces. My grandmother collected s/p shaker sets had over 4,000. What fun it was to see all of the variety.

I think that it would be easier to find sock knitting needles instead of wire to make the hat pins. They already are pointed, and you can slip many of the larger beads on the end to cover the second point. I use a heavier weight as a hair-stick sometimes, as I found bronze color that goes with my hair.

By the way-antique hat pins, or hair sticks can snap because of the age of the metal or something. For heavy use, "stick" with new metals.

OrahLee

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Crafts Clothing HatsJuly 14, 2006
Paper Plate Crab Hat
Making a Paper Plate Crab Hat
Push Pins
Alternatives to Push Pins
Crochet Hat Patterns
Crochet Hat Patterns
push pins on a bulletin board
Substitutes for Push Pins
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 21, 2016 at 8:16:49 AM on 10.0.2.232 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.