When to Harvest Onions?

When do I pick my onions?

Hardiness Zone: 1

By Sylvia from Ireland

I live in zone 5 and I have pulled mine. I usually wait till the tops fall over and begin to brown. My mother in law, who was a terrific gardener said not to let the August sun shine on them, don't know the reason for it but I followed her advice and I tied them in a bundle, dried them and put them in my basement and I just used the last onion about a week ago. So I know this works. Of course you know that yellow onions keep much better than the white ones.

We've just pulled ours and hung them over the bean supports to dry. if you don't want to plait them afterwards put them in old tights and hang them up.

Marg from England

Home and Garden Gardening GrowingJuly 19, 2010
chopping green onions
Chopping Green Onions
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Photo of an onion harvest.
Harvesting Onions
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 17, 2016 at 7:39:14 PM on 10.0.0.140 in 938 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.