Is Alcohol a Disinfectant?

Would you consider alcohol to be a disinfectant?

By Michaelene from Camden, NC

It is the major ingredient in most antibacterial hand gels. We use those to disinfect our hands; so yes, it is a good disinfectant. We are talking about rubbing (isopropyl) alchohol.

In case you're not talking about rubbing alchohol, Vodka and grain alchohol can been used as a disinfectant.

I like using listerene as a hand disinfectant!

Alcohol is a disinfectant. Isopropyl has an ingredient to make it unsafe to drink, but I saw a hand sanitizer the other day, Purel I think, which used ethyl alcohol. It was lovely on the skin after it dried.

It is a disinfectant, but be careful where you use it. As a nurse I came home with an "alcohol prep" in my pocket (the tiny packets used to disinfect a small area of skin, usually before an injection). I noticed dirt above the doorknob of my pantry and used one of the wipes to clean it. Mistake. Now the area is noticeably duller than the rest of the door.

Also, thinking if hand gels; over-use is not good. We are meant to have some "good bugs" on our hands. Over-use can lead to yeast and fungal infections of the skin as there are not enough "good bugs" to fend them off. Sensible use is a great preventative; but germophobe over use has its pitfalls!

Consumer Advice General AdviceAugust 9, 2010
Isopropyl Alcohol
Isopropyl Alcohol Stain on Wood Furniture
Disinfectant Wipe Containers
Uses for Disinfectant Wipe Containers
Champagne glasses at a wedding.
Serving Alcohol at a Wedding
Homemade Disinfectant Cleaner Ingredients
Homemade Disinfectant Cleaners