PaintingHome Improvement

Counter Tops to Go with Light Green Paint

I've bought an old farm house, and am remodeling it country-style. I'm thinking I want to paint my cabinets a sort of mild green color, sort of like the old Dr. Pepper machines, or those dishes you used to get in oatmeal. (Before most of you were born.) Got any ideas about what counter top would look good with it?

Loretta Humble from , Texas

Dishes in oatmeal! I haven't thought of that in a long time! Do they still make those freckled countertops? There used to be a white with gold flecks and a beige with brown and orange flecks. I think either of those would be good with your green cabinets.

You aren't far from me, Loretta. If it were mine I would do white counter tops and the floor in black and white squares. It will be just like gramma's house.

Timber or timber effect countertops are pretty much always fashionable not to mention versatile. A lighter colour timber would be bright and fresh and keep with the country feel, plus timber goes with pretty much anything!

I agree with Fan: If you want to keep the country look, several formica mfrs still make the old-fashioned white w/gold flecks and small lines. It'll match any green shade you use, will keep your kitchen light, and go well w/wood flooring if you're not going the (country) tile or lino route. Timber tops are beautiful, of course, but not the easiest on your wallet or your maintenance crew of ...yourself, I assume!

I know the green you're talking about, I think - I have it in my bathroom. It is called Rainwashed (color) by Sherwin Williams and I love it. I have a light tan marble sink unit in a woodgrain vanity and I love it!

Timber effect is available in laminate - cheaper.

I think a cream color would be really nice with the green. Pale green and a warm cream color seem calm but welcoming at the same time.

I tend to like authentic vintage, but a blend of old and new is interesting, too. A cream with gold fleck would look great. I love your color choice. Wish I could see the finished kitchen!

I love contrast so we did our bathroom walls and cabinites light green and got emerald green contertops. Everyone that goes in there loves it.

You've all given me some good suggestions. My thoughts have sort of evolved a bit since I wrote the question. Now I'm thinking about keeping the green on the bottom and painting the top cabinets cream color. I still am trying to choose between the counter top suggestions, plus I've seen some pictures of reddish ones, and some slate colored ones. Seems like it needs a little warm color but I don't want to overdo it. I am thinking about sort of a brickish looking vinyl for the floors. I had already bought some nice ceramic tile, but I've decided I didn't want the hard and cold feeling from tile. Thanks so much.