LaundryCleaning

Dark Colored Towels Bled on Light Colored Towels

Category Laundry

I read about using boiling water and bleach for taking out color bleeding. It appears that these were white clothes. What about green towels that had a red towel thrown in? They are now an awful brown color. Will the boiling water and bleach work on colored items?

Sandra

Best Answer

Try "Dye Grabber". It worked great for me with some similarly stained clothing. One terry-cloth Dye Grabber is good for 30 loads of clothes. I bought mine @ JoAnn Fabrics

If you put bleach on the colored towels it will put bleach spots on them. For future - SHOUT makes a dye catcher. You throw it in the washing machine and also put the one that was in the washer right in the dryer with the wet clothes. These work great- especially when you have a white shirt with red trimming- go ahead and throw the shirt in with your loads of whites and put in the shout dye catcher sheet and it will catch the dye and your other clothes will come out fine. You can get this product at any store-- It says shout right across the front of the box- the box is white. good luck.

Bleach on your green/brown towel will take out the green as well as the red. It may not put spots on the towel, if you have dissolved the bleach in the water thoroughly, but it will fade out the green and the red both. You will just end up with faded brown towels.

You could try just using a hot wash with lots of detergent. I don't think that would hurt the towels in any way. I would be wary of any color remover, as I think it would remove the original green as well as the new red.