Organizing DVDs

Does anyone have ideas on organizing DVD disks?

By Alexis from Peterborough, Ontario, Canada

I purchased a large CD case which had a 3 ring binder spine so I could add pages. I had purchased a bunch of CDs through the mail that didn't have cases; they were all in paper envelopes. I organized them in the CD case and put tabs along the edge marked with what the section was. You could use Action, Comedy, Romance, etc. In my case they were TeenTitans, Superfriends, Space Ghost, Thundarr :) My CDs were the full run of cartoons for my kids.

Only very recently, we took our DVDs out of their cases and placed them in a large CD case. It freed up a ton of space in our living room. The CD case sits on the coffee table or on the shelf under the coffee table. When we want a movie, we just get the case out and flip through the pages. I've stored the original DVD cases in a box in the basement in case at some point in time we want to give a movie to someone.

Anonymous

I am not sure exactly what kind of organizing you mean but I oranize mine by genre and then alphabetize each category.

I have the single DVDs stored alphabetically in a bookcase and the boxed sets with multiple DVDs on a separate shelf along with two printed copies of the 200 plus DVDs that we have. I keep one printed copy taped on the inside door of the bookcase and the other loose so that relatives and other visitors do not have to stand and read the list taped on the door.

With over 700 DVD's in our collection I had to organize ours! I have mine on shelves alphabetically. Plus I keep a file on the computer that I update every time we buy one. Once we've bought a few since the last print-out, I print out a new list, one for me and one for my husband. I print them on 3x5 cards, front and back and keep them in a small plastic zip bag.

I also have another list on the computer which has them arranged by genre, then alphabetically.

I purchased a leather case at WalMart that holds over 200 for $19.95. They previously were in their cases and on a shelf collection dust. Best thing I ever did when I bought that case. Easy to flip through to find the one I'm looking for and the case takes up very little room. I did keep the cases in case I may want to sell or trade one some time. They are stored in boxes out of the way in a storage area.