House Smells Like Varnish

There is a strong smell of varnish in my kitchen and sitting room that I can't get rid of. I don't know where the smell is coming from because I have not used varnish in my home. Does anyone know what it could be or how I can get rid of it?

By Almac from Ireland

Normally, I'd recommend cut-up oranges to get rid of odors. But since you don't know where this odor is coming from, you really need to find the source of such a chemical smell. It could be dangerous.

In the phone book, there are companies that specialize in eliminating odors from fires, etc., and maybe one of them could give you an idea of what could be causing it.

If you use gas in your house, you might ask the gas company to come out and check for a problem. IIRC, they'll do that for free in most areas.

I'd also ask at the local hardware store, if they've heard of such a thing. But I think the pros who eliminate odors after floods or fires might be your best bet.

Sorry I don't know the answer, but I'd rather err on the side of caution. Because you don't want to cover up the odor, then later get sick on some sort of chemical fumes....

WildIrish's ideas are great! I would also try placing small bowls of vinegar around for awhile because vinegar soaks up almost all odors.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJanuary 13, 2010
Burnt Food
Removing Burnt Food Smell from House
Homemade Varnish Remover, Up close photo of varnished wood.
Homemade Varnish Remover
Painting Over Varnish
Painting Over Varnish
Varnished Desk Organizer
Cleaning Varnished Wood