Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent?

Homeowners often try to use a variety of products to deter snakes from coming into their yard or garden. This is a guide about, "Do mothballs work as a snake repellent?".

September 23, 2010 Flag

Do mothballs keep snakes away? What home remedy can I use?

By Trish from Eustis, FL

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Mothballs fumes are highly toxic and they are poisonous and are especially dangerous to have around children or pets! I don't know of any homemade remedy, but if you called a pest control company I am fairly certain they would tell you what to buy and where you can buy it. Seems to me that large garden centers would carry snake repellent.

Best Answer

I live in FL also and I am very terrified of snakes. I have to say that mothballs do not work. I know it's expensive, but a product called Snake-Away does work. I tried to save money by using mothballs only to go outside and see this huge black snake slithering over the mothballs. Snake-Away smells like mothballs, but probably has other things in it that helps repel them.

People believe mothballs work, but they don't. The critters just go around them or find another way around them. Waste of money.

Just an FYI: Mothballs have worked here at our house in Texas, for years. We have only had on snake on our five acres in 16 years.

Oh, but moth balls do work! I used them around the perimeter of my yard when I saw one and never saw another snake! You can also do the same with lime, it works just as good.

PS: Moth balls also work to keep roaches, etc. out of your house. I go around the outside and throw a couple under the house through the vent or door to the crawl space and about two or three in the attic. Don't put out more than that, because you will be able to smell them and they can be strong.

August 14, 2010 Flag

Do mothballs act as a good snake repellent?

By Sharon from Cleveland, TN

Best Answer

Moth balls do in fact work. Same stuff in Snake Away. But what's remarkable is that it works on moles too! Guaranteed! Just pop through their runs a few places and poke in a ball or two and they are gone in a matter of days. Sometimes immediately.

Best Answer

No. Ask any snake expert. You folks who have had success, it is because of indirect effect. Mothballs repel field mice (and other critters snakes find delicious). Take away food source, snakes go away. So do they repel snakes, no. Do they work in getting rid of snakes, yes.

I don't understand why people think mothballs are a good critter repellent. Mothballs give off an odor and should a critter find that odor unpleasant they either roll the moth balls out of the way or find another route around the mothballs.

There is a product called Snake Away which the active is Napthalene, which is an ingredient of some moth balls, not sure how a snake would be able to roll away a moth ball.

After recently moving into a house out in a more "rural" area, I started seeing a few snakes around the outside of my home. A friend of mine recommended mothballs, and I actually went out and bought a few boxes, but when I looked online, most people were saying that there were ineffective and at best, they repelled the rodents that snakes tend to munch on.

After reading that, I didn't even bother with them. Fast forward to this past weekend when I encountered yet another snake out on my patio (a small ring neck snake) which motivated me to go ahead and try the mothballs. I crushed them into a powder with a hammer and sprinkled the powder around the patio and house foundation...long story short(er), the next day, I found a DEAD ring neck snake out on my patio, and the following day, there was yet another dead snake of a different breed. Neither had any signs of trauma, as might occur if it were attacked by an animal, and both were on the patio near where I sprinkled the moth ball powder.

Say what you wish, but from my experience, moth balls definitely work!

Yes

August 14, 2010 Flag

Do mothballs keep snakes away?

By ccbran from Sweeny, TX

Answers:

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent?

My mother-in-law swears by it, so I won't say no! She has lots of flower pots around her house, then birds nest in them, and the eggs and babies of course attract snakes. She puts both the moth balls and loose crystals around the perimeter of her house. (07/15/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent?

Moth balls don't work. Varmits just roll them away, ignore them or find another route. (07/15/2009)

By foxrun41

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent?

I put moth balls in my barn because I had a bad snake problem. It kept the non poisonous out, but for the cottonmouths, it did not work. I had one curled up in the moth balls. (07/15/2009)

By horsewzl

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent?

I've never tried mothballs, but I have spread sulphur around the perimeter of my yard and haven't seen any snakes since. I had seen 2 within one week just prior to spreading the sulphur! You can get sulphur at places likes Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. It comes in a bag like fertilizer. Hope it works for you and God bless you and yours. (07/17/2009)

By tedsmom

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent?

Some people have had good results and others have not. I guess it's just trial and error. "Snake Away" that you can get at feed stores or Lowe's type stores is just another form of moth balls. Read the ingredients. I know you didn't ask about skunks, but I do know for a fact that moth balls do keep skunks away. We found this out after both my dog and my husband got "skunked". LOL!

Margaret from Denton, TX (07/17/2009)

By matjat

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent?

No! I thought I would "cheap out" and try it. I walked outside only to find a huge black snake slithering right over the mothballs. Snake-a-way is expensive, but it works. Yes, it smells just like mothballs, but it must have other stuff combined with the napthalene (mothballs) that makes it work. I've never tried sulfur so I can't speak for that. When I was growing up my mom put lime around the gardens because we had a lot of garter snakes where we lived. Just so you know, I live in FL, so this is snake territory and I am terrified of them. If I never see another one as long as I live I would be very happy. (07/17/2009)

By lovethosehounds

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent?

They work where I live. I put them out each year and have never had a snake. Last year I was not able to get around and put them out. My husband found a snake in our yard. (07/17/2009)

By Teresa Kay

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent?

Mothballs are the same thing as snake repellent. Naphthalene. That is what is in the MSDS on both. (09/06/2009)

By rocketdog11

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent?

Well I put the moth balls inside the snake holes and that worked. I live on a lake and there's snake holes all around my dock, but I figured just every time I see a hole, put a few mothballs in there. It works. (05/21/2010)

By Sardelayo1988

July 14, 2009 Flag

Do mothballs get rid of snakes in the attic?

DBEavers from Beaumont, TX

Answers:

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent

Some people say they do, but others have complained about trying to get the smell out of their attics.

What might be best if you want to try it is to put them in cheesecloth or something so they will be easy to locate when you want to remove them. If you just throw some up there, they will be difficult to locate each mothball.

People don't like the smell of mothballs any better than snakes or moths.
Susan from ThriftyFun (09/07/2006)

By ThriftyFun

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent

For 2 -3 years there have been snakes, garden, I think in my neighborhood. At the first sight of one I put mothballs around my house and my fenced in yard. I saw one small snake this year, but it was dead. (09/08/2006)

By looklady

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent

Moth balls to repel animals is a myth. If you put them in a burrow the animal just tosses them out. On the ground animals just move around them. Some people use them thinking they are effective. But there is no harm in letting folks believe these stories. Use them if you want, but they are not animal deterrents. (09/08/2006)

By Dean

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent

No, moth balls I know for a fact do not work. When my children were younger we rented and lived in a 100 year old farm house in the western NC area. The house became infested with snakes which (I found out) were after the mice in the walls, yuck. Needless to say after killing a few snakes within the house itself we moved from there and into another state.

I have seen "Snake Away" which is a repellent that you use to keep the snakes at bay in the area that you want taken care of. Google "Snake Away" and see what you come up with, good luck. (09/09/2006)

By Paula Jo C.

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent

We live on a creek in SW Georgia and mothballs have proven to me they work. During years 2003 to 2006 we killed 12 to 17 poisonous snakes each year (cottonmouth, rattle, and copperhead) day and night around the house and bushes. Last year (2007) we put out mothballs every other month or when they dissolved and only killed one rattlesnake and it was nowhere around the mothballs. Don't just put out one or two put them out heavily. (02/18/2008)

By Tommy Y.

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent

Yes, they do work. We started using them in our barn here in northern Nevada. Our neighbors have all had snakes this year except us. This is our first year using them, but after all the snakes we had last year and the lack of snakes this year; I believe they work. (05/17/2008)

By Loren

Do Mothballs Work as a Snake Repellent

Not so sure moth balls work, but it has been proven that lime will get rid snakes. It keeps them away and if they go through the lime it will burn their skin. (06/15/2008)

By Gary

Home and Garden Pest Control SnakesJune 6, 2016
Two kids standing in the rain wearing colorful rain boots.
Making Fabric Water Repellent
Spider on web with dew drops on it.
Spider Repellent Recipes
Black and White Eastern Kingsnake
Kingsnake Information and Photos
Colored Naphthalene Balls
Alternative to Using Mothballs
🎉
🎄