Keeping Copperhead Snakes Out of Your Yard

1
Share
Save
Follow
Print

Copperhead snake against a white backgroundDo copperhead snakes leave scents behind when they are killed to let other copperheads know the area is unoccupied? I ask this because we are staying on a farm and that is what they say. So we respect their wishes and we relocate the copperheads, across a river, instead of killing them.

By A.C.

Answers

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 282 Feedbacks

Have you checked with the ag (agricultural) extension agent in your county about how to peacefully co-exist with copperheads? The number will be in the white pages of your phone book, or you can check their website by Googling. The website will have a ton of really good, scientifically sound information regarding all kinds of plants and animals found in your area.

I'm not a big fan of copperheads, but good on you for not killing every one you find, as they are actually a beneficial animal.

The presence of more than one indicates an environment favourable to them, might be you have a rodent population the copperheads see as a moveable buffet:) Every rat or squirrel the copperheads eat is one less rodent who might end up in your car, walls or attic chewing electrical wires.

However, copperheads can also hurt you or yours with their very serious bite. Best to get some trained advice from the ag extension agent nearest you.

Snakes do not travel in pairs for one. Two every venomous snake has slit eyes and in the case of copper heads also have venom glands giving them a spade shaped head. Dont listen to idiots telling you the only way to ID. them is to look at their fangs.

I would like to clarify potentially dangerous error. Not all venomous snakes have elliptical pupils. Coral snakes in the same family as cobra have solid black, round eyes. they are found in the south, southeast and southwest United States. To identify venomous coral snake from milk snakes which are very similar "red touches black, friendly Jack; red touches yellow, will kill a fellow." They don't bite often, but in recent years there have been more bites.

Also, for international travelers identifying venomous snakes elliptical pupil rule does not apply, be careful.

I'm not sure if the scent attracts other copperheads, but they do seem to emit a scent. I've heard it emits the scent when they are disturbed, but the scent has alerted me to the presence of copperheads several times. It's a smell similar to cucumber melon scented candles or shampoo. Some describe it as just as cucumber. Others don't smell it at all. On a side note Cottomouths smell like sewage.

My dad always said "when he smells cucumbers,there is a copperhead around. He would never eat a cucumber. We lived in the hills of southeastern Ky.

Are you seriously going to get close enough to see their pupils???!! Check the head, if it looks like a broad arrowhead, STAY BACK FOOL!!

Anonymous

Yes they do travel in pairs!! We had 2 together about 4 days ago. The same area today had 3 together.. So yes they do travel in pairs!!

I was cutting grass at my home and I have a concrete slab out back. I seen where I had hit and cut in half a baby snake. I it was a small copper head. I stopped and found another I killed it and then another they ended up being five.

They came from this slap. I looked for the mother because I know she is around. But no luck. What do I do???????

Just found 2 together in my yard.

2 More Questions

I'm having problems with baby copperheads. Just this month I've found three. One of them got into my house. I've lived in the same house for 3 years and never had this problem before. I read that this is the month that they should be hibernating. Why are they moving around and what can I do to locate where they might be? Does this mean that the nest or den is close by?

By stacy from Honey Grove, TX

Answers

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 147 Feedbacks

Go to Sentinel Electronic Snake Repeller, lot of info there, good luck.

I think for a poisionous snake, I'd hire an exterminator.

I have garter snakes that live between my foundation and the sidewalk. I've had them come into my basement family room. They are very annoying. I live in PA where snakes hibernate for the winter.

I understand that snakes don't like strong or bad smells. They are repelled by them. imho, one visit from an exterminator would be well worth the money spent. He can advise you about what you need to do.

Put sulfur out

Is there a snake I can keep around my property that will either eat or drive away copperheads? Last year we counted 5 different copperheads in our yard.

Home and Garden Pest Control SnakesJune 1, 2016
🌻
🎆
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Keeping-Copperhead-Snakes-Out-of-Your-Yard.html