Creating a Birthday Journal

For a very dear person in my life, I am creating (from an already bound journal) a fun birthday present journal. This journal has quotes I've cut out and pasted in, ones I've written in, tea bag covers that will eventually hold something, what I don't know. I am also including fun prints, smell stickers (what person no matter the age doesn't like scratch and sniff stickers?)

Every page unless super pretty will have a quote (all 250 pages) along with some photo/cutout/design. I'd really love ideas of things to do to it. On a few I'll say, "It's all about you day, treat yourself", or make little tidbits of self discovery statements, etc.

Also, I think the tea bag cover is a great idea. It holds the perfect size of a business card and it's a little built in pocket, but I'm not sure what to put in it. I was thinking encouraging thoughts on pieces of paper (laminated I guess.)

This isn't the first journal I've made, I made one for a 13 year old last year and she loved it, but I was able to take hers apart. This one is a solid binding so I'm not able to here, which is slowing down the process because each page has to dry before I go to the next. Also, this journal is for a 25 year old whereas the last one could get a little sillier. I'd be happy to post pics of what I've already done if requested.

I'd like to stay along the lines of recycling what I have in the house (or around the yard.) I've bought stickers, but most of them came from an old collection and I'm cutting up every magazine that comes to the house almost immediately. I have ribbon and string, but I'm not sure what to do with it. On the front cover I made a "frame" with crushed egg shells and Mod Podge to hold it securely in place (I love it.) Also, I'm running out of patience with quotes. Any and all quotes are welcome.

A little about her, she's bubbly, sweet, always smiling and laughing, always helping others, huge advocate for those without a voice (or the strength to fight for themselves) as well as very religiously Catholic, but very liberal minded, too. She's adopted, so that has a huge part in her life, a social worker, a great friend in general. I'm blessed to have her in my life and I want her to know those around us really appreciate her and all she does.

My idea is for this to be silly, serious, religious, inspiring, and self loving. Any ideas, help? It was easier with a 13 year old, I don't want this to look "trashy". I have until the end of March to complete this (thank God since it's a page by page process.) Currently I have roses in a vase (which will eventually die). Any ideas for what I could do with the petals?

Thanks for any and all help.

By Trici from Washington, DC

I love your idea of creating a birthday journal. Just a suggestion, maybe leave pages where your daughter can journal her own photos (taken at the party) and she can decoupage her own birthday napkins or birthday cards, etc. I've been checking out websites to make an alter book and they look so kewl. It would nice if your journal would be a 'mother and daughter' project. Peace.

I have been thinking of doing some book altering myself and just read to make the page seperately and paste it on the original book page. You have to remove some of the books original pages to make room for the added pages but your project would go much faster. Your added pages are glued to a stub of an original page left attached to the center binding I believe.

If you know of any occasions that your friend has been involved in maybe you can get some momentos from it, pictures, stories from some that attended etc. You could even make a page for what you see in the person's future for fun. Get her friends and family to sign a page. Make a paper quilt block that represents something meaningful to her. There are quilt a few Bible blocks such as Jacobs Ladder, you could just print out the block and color in the pieces even. Include the poem about being adopted, sorry I can't think of the title right now.

What a great thing you are doing, wish you all the best, and please do keep us informed.

As for the rose petals...dry and flatten a petal, and then use varnish or Clear Tape or something else to coat it with, Makes a good decoration. I did that with a butterfly wing I fond once.

As for the tea bags...lucky pennies with certain years on them. Like if there's a page dedicated to an event or a year, you could put a coin with that year in the pouch.

Holidays and Parties Gifts BirthdayFebruary 23, 2010
Homemade Journal Ideas
Homemade Journal Ideas
Creating a Simple Website for a Business, Website URL on a computer screen.
Creating a Simple Website for a Business
A Garden Journal
Keeping A Garden Journal
letters as photo prop
1st Birthday Photo Prop