Help with Allergies

Allergy season is really bad in WY this year. I have allergies for the first time and have been suffering for over a month now. Have tried 3 over the counter medicines and none of them work. Also have tried eating local honey, but that doesn't seem to help either. Any suggestions?

MB in WY

Allergy medicines are a real "hit and miss" affair. My doctor gave me three samples (Allegra, Zyrtec and Clarinex) and I took each med for 7 days. The Allegra and Clarinex didn't help much but the Zyrtec worked great. A friend of mine thinks Zyrtec is worthless and she takes Clarinex plus Nasocort spray. My doctor says all the different allergy medications (prescription and over the counter) work differently for different types of allergies and every persons reactions to these meds vary greatly. So, you just need to keep trying different meds until you find one that works. I like the prescription meds because they don't make me drowsy or jittery like certain OTC meds. Good luck, Joni

One nutritional supplement you can take that will help is molybdenum picolinate. It is a trace mineral and has really helped my hay fever.

My Zyrtec doesn't seem to be working this year either. Pollen is pretty bad everywhere right now.

What you need to do is, keep pollen in your home and on your body, to a minimum. When you come home for the night, take a shower right away, first thing. Just being outside for a minute covers you with pollen, which falls around your home. If you are not going to take a shower at least change your clothing. Make sure you put this clothing someplace where the pollen won't be able to drift around your room or the rest of the house. I keep a rubbermaid tote in my basement that I put my clothes into. Keep your hair out of your face! Put your hair in a ponytail or pin it all back from your face. This keeps any pollen that gets trapped in your hair, during the day, off your skin. Buy wet wipes and use them on your face and exposed skin during the day when you feel your allergies getting worse. Never use a tissue more then once!!! Not only is this tissue full of pollen but it is also full of germs. Nothing like shoving pollen into your skin and nose, when you are trying to blow new pollen out.

Buy an eye wash kit and use it! You can make a mild solution of boric acid water to rinse your eyes out. You would use about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of boric acid to about 4- 6 cups of water. Place the water in a pot and boil. Add the boric acid and stir. Remove from heat and stir until all boric acid is dissolved. Pour boric acid into clean container (glass jar) this will be hot still. Cover and place jar in fridge. When this solution has cooled down to a lukewarm solution you can then use it to flush out your eyes. Replace the remaining water back in the refrigerator.

My hayfever has been terrible this year. I've tried all over the counter medicine and the only one that really works for me is Benedryl. The problem of course is that it makes me very (underline that) sleepy which at times can be worse than the allergy symptoms. I've heard that Claratin works for some people but had no luck with it myself. I think the key is to try everything that you can and when you find one that works, stick with it.

Don't know what your weather is like in WY, but in Kansas, we sometimes get a good frost in November, and that usually helps get rid of hayfever the best. Hope you can stick it out.

Donna in Kansas

My husband an I both have allergies bad thing we did not know was there is a allergy shot and also the medication called Levaquin. This has help us so much. Hope it helps you.

A friend told me a few years ago about Vitamin C and Zinc. You take a daily dose of each in the morning and again in the evening. Some people develop an upset stomach from taking Vitamin C so eat when you take the vitamins if you think this may be a problem for you. I have not had any real trouble with my alergies since I started this and I live in AZ. I also don't take vitamins as part of my daily routine, maybe that's why this sudden and large infusion works so well for me.

I take a tea of apple cider vinegar 2tbsp, honey, 2 tbsp and 1/8 tsp baking soda in 9 oz water. I do this two days and then skip three days. It seems to work for my allergies and headaches.

Dog standing by food dish.
Does My Dog Have Food Allergies?
Dog With Allergies
Treating Dogs With Seasonal Allergies
Dog With Food Allergies
Feeding a Dog With Food Allergies
Woman With Allergies
Traveling with Allergies