DishesCleaning

Wash Dishes as You Go

How would you like visitors to drop by and you have a whole sink load of dirty dishes? This would embarrass me, and it also makes me think people are not very clean. Dirty dishes are a magnet for bugs and I hate bugs.

At a very early age, we were taught to wash the dishes as we went, so when it came down to the time to wash up the dishes we only had the plates, cups, and silverware to wash. This saves you money and time. Often I will have all the dishes washed up and the stove cleaned, before I sit down so all that is left is what we are using. Then after supper it only takes a few minutes to finish the dishes, then you have time to relax.

So you may want to try this and see how you feel after you finish that huge plate of food that has made you tired and ready for some relaxation. It sure feels good to me when I only have a few things to wash up after a hearty meal. It also makes me feel good that I am avoiding a bug problem.

By Gem from VA

Anonymous

I do the same oh so easy thing to do and after the meal, if really tired or have company, will simply rinse the meal plates and stack them nicely in the sink to do in the morning.

Gem, thanks for the reminder. We've had problems with sugar ants for years. Hubby always said it was unavoidable, but it really grosses me out to accidentally get an ant in a mouthful of food. Yuck! (Believe it or not, I can not only taste them, I can smell them - like a magic marker, eww!)

My mother always washed as she went, but I'd gotten very lazy. To combat the ant issue, though, I'm not only getting back to washing up as I go, I go a step further: every time we brew coffee, I take out the basket (the part that holds the filter and coffee grounds) and rinse it out as soon as the brewing cycle is finished. I don't put it back in until it's time to brew again. Then I carefully dry the underside of the area where the basket fits. Seems to be helping.

I said the very same thing in another feedback. Something we both could have added is that it makes cleanup easier. The frying pan you cooked chicken gravy in, will be so much easier to clean if you do it as soon a you pour the gravy from the pan, rather than waiting til after the meal.

Some people just toss the pan in a sink full of hot, soapy water and let it soak during the meal. Not me. I don't want gravy in my dish water. I brush all gravy residue from the pan under running water, before I put it in the dish water. As long as I'm standing there brushing the pan, I might as well go ahead and wash it.

Gem from VA, I think our way is best....and I wouldn't have a dishwasher if someone gave me a brand new one for free.