Disputing an Early Cancellation Fee for a Cell Phone

What is the best way to dispute an early cancellation fee on a cell phone?

Marie from MA

I had service with AT&T and it was terrible where I live. I called them to complain and they said their computer said I had service so I must have it. I decided to call them each time a call dropped, would't go out, or just had a couple of minutes and thought I would tell them what I thought of them. Each time I called I told the operator that I wanted the entire conversation noted on my file. By the end of the second day, my contract was cancelled with no cancellation fee and a $250 credit toward my current bill.

If you're smart you will just pay it. This happened to me, I was right they were wrong. Long story short, I argued with them about it but finally paid. It is now on my credit report and has been about 4 years. It will be on there til 2012. Pay it, it's not worth the hassle. Pay and then argue. This is the only thing on my credit report that is negative. Because of this, I, who have never paid anything late or missed payments was turned down for dish tv and had to take a higher interest rate on a car loan. Please pay it.

I finally got them to waive it yesterday. It's too long a story but finally I spoke to someone who "got it" - this was for a line that I didn't need or use or want but was told I had to add in order to get the phone I wanted when one of our phones was lost. Beware of some "authorized" dealers also as they may have their "own rules" that they aren't up front about. I am suprised that TC - although you paid fee it shows up on your credit report? There are a lot of class action lawsuits you can find on the web regarding early cancellation fees on cell phones and the consumer has won a lot of the times. I didn't want to go thru that if I didn't have to. I am glad it has been taken care of.

Consumer Advice General AdviceDecember 3, 2008
Pink Silicone Cell Phone Case
Cleaning a Silicone Cell Phone Case
striped knit sock like phone pouch
Making a Cell Phone Holder
Cell Phone User Making call with Card
Saving Money on Phone Cards
A yellow phone book with a phone sitting on it.
Finding Phone Numbers