Homemade Cleaner for Dishwasher

I live in NZ. We don't have Wal-Mart, Lemi-Shine, or Jet Dry Dishwasher cleaner. What would I use in NZ? I've used white vinegar as a rinse aid, but the glasses and other dishes still have white film on them. Also, my dishwasher has slimy gunk on the rubber across the bottom of the door (inside). I do rinse off the worst of the food before putting the dishes in dishwasher. How do I prevent the build up?

By Kareen from Auckland, NZ

Answers

My mother had the same problem with a new dishwasher in her apt. I asked the maintenance man to turn up the water heater for her. This took care of the problem, they'd turned it down after they changed out her water heater. Good luck.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

I need a homemade solution for cleaning and disinfecting my dishwasher.

Trish from CT

Answers:

Homemade Cleaner for Dishwasher

If the cleaning is for the dishwasher and not the dishes I have heard of using Tang. If it is for dishes I've used half borax and half washing soda using one teaspoon and it works great! Good luck. (10/15/2007)

By smathis123

Homemade Cleaner for Dishwasher

Good ole white vinegar and water. Do not use it on the good china because it will damage it.
Hope this helps. (10/17/2007)

By Pattie

Homemade Cleaner for Dishwasher

To clean and freshen the dishwasher use a packet of lemon Kool-Ade (not sweetened) and run through a wash cycle. Works great. (10/17/2007)

By lavonneann

Homemade Cleaner for Dishwasher

I have found that using plain old vinegar works wonders. I bought a used dishwasher that had a huge amount of hard water built up in it. I had no clue what to do. So I just thought, well, this can't hurt. I was so surprised at how well it worked! I also wanted to disinfect, so I put lemon juice in with it. All you have to do is pour it in the bottom of the dishwasher, under the bottom rack. I use about a cup of vinegar and about 1/4 cup lemon juice. You don't have to use it every washing, but you will notice when you forget. This also works great on garbage disposals and other drains (bathtub, sinks, mud room sink, etc.) Good luck.

(10/18/2007)

By Stephanie L

Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Kitchen CleanersJune 27, 2010
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
An open dishwasher full of clean dishes.
Fixing a Leaking Dishwasher
New Open Dishwasher
Saving Money on a Dishwasher
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 13, 2016 at 10:07:29 AM on 10.0.0.83 in 650 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.