Thread Keeps Breaking on Sewing Machine

I have cleaned and oiled my Brother sewing machine after breaking about 3 needles. But now it seems that the needle thread keeps getting hung up on the bobbin shuttle and breaking. Can anyone please tell me what is causing this problem?

By Tweedy from Houston, TX

Best Answer

Take a deep breath and then go slow. I've been there, and been sooo frustrated. Have you checked your manuals for trouble shooting? Are you using the right size needle for the task? Are you using two different threads for bobbin and needle? Is the needle inserted properly? Is your bobbin the right kind for that machine? Is the bobbin properly wound? How is the tension? Double check your threading of the machine. Sometimes we just miss a step. Hope it gets better, and good luck!

Best Answer

You might take out the bobbin and look under and around it for 'fuzz'. I have to clean out under there pretty often or my thread starts breaking or jamming up into 'birds nests', or sometimes it'll just skip stitches. Try using the cleaning brush that comes with sewing machines, or just use a cheap artist's type brush and really brush it out good, then put a drop of oil in that area also and wipe excess away. I've bought several old sewing machines at yard sales that they said wouldn't sew, and after taking apart and cleaning all under the bobbin area, they sewed just fine. :^)

Sometimes, you even have to take out the parts that hold the bobbin and clean under there, too. Be careful that you remember exactly how you take it out or you might have trouble getting it set back in. Take notes to remind yourself, because if your sewing machine is one of the models that seem to attract a lot of fuzz under there, you'll need to do it again before long, even if you're using really good quality thread. By the way, try not to use the 'bargain bin' type cheap thread, it leaves more fuzz and jams up more often. I found it was no bargain, lol.

Best Answer

Check your tension on the machine. If it is too tight this will also cause the thread to break. This is the spring dial on the face place of the machine. Remember "righty tighty, lefty loosey".

Best Answer

Check that the needle is in the right way - usually with the flat side away from you, but check your manual. While you have the manual out check that the bobbin is turning the right way too. Hope you fix it

Hi yes check your manual for trouble shooting. I also found that you have to use the exact same thread on the upper part of the sewing machine as you do in the bobbin or you will get problems. Break off a piece of the thread from the spool, to check it for strength as well. Some threads break for easy. Make sure that there are no threads caught up in the bobbin casing area, I give mine a good sweep w/ a little brush I bought from the material store.

aloham has given you a lot of good advice. :)

It might be time to have it serviced. If you are sure you are threading it properly then you need an expert to find the problem.

My Bernina did the same thing. I had it serviced; the fix-it guy found a teeny-tiny spur on the bobbin that kept catching the thread. It must have happened when one of the needles broke. He sanded it very lightly with very fine emery and it was fixed.

This seems to be an issue with the timing of the needle entry into the hooks of the shuttle. This can cause either the thread to not be picked up or on the other extreme can cause the needle to break. Check out this youtube video to learn how to fix it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmEtmnkDIS8

Sewing Machine
Sewing Machine Thread Keeps Breaking
Crafts SewingJanuary 14, 2011
Bobbin Thread Keeps Breaking
Bobbin Thread Keeps Breaking
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Red Sewing Thread
Crocheting With Sewing Thread
🎉
🎄